Author Topic: Greeting people in the chat room  (Read 5917 times)

chokchai20260

Greeting people in the chat room
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:40:33 PM »
I'm an OP in a new chatroom, with very few regular members.  so, people tend to come in and disappear fairly quickly if they think there is nobody to chat with.  If I'm chatting in another room I often miss them.

I want a script which will alert me with a popup whenever someone comes into the room.  How do I do it please?

I'm a bit of a newbie with this scripting, and I learn best by looking at scripts and figuring out how they work - but I don't find many here.

Cheers,
G

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Greeting people in the chat room
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 08:33:04 PM »
What kind of a popup are you wanting?

Or do you just want to send a welcome message, when people join?

For a simple join script, just enter the following.

Code: [Select]
on *:JOIN:#channel:/msg $chan Hello $nick and welcome to $chan

Just change the #channel to a certain channel. $chan and $nick are replaced with the channel that the JOIN event fired , and the nick who joined. Pretty straight forward.
The IceChat God

chokchai20260

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 12:40:19 AM »
Thanks, that will get me started :-) I agree its pretty simple, but only if you know the syntax.  I don't know the syntax yet, am just learning . . . .

What I don't seem to be able to find is a Guide, somewhere, which explains it all.  For example, if I click the link "Help with IceChat 7 Style Scripting" in the Editor, it just sends me to the front page of your website.

Cheers,
G

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 08:42:52 AM »
Yes, the guides and such will have all the wrong links, because the main website was totally rebuilt.
Once 7.50 is released, it will have all the proper links again.

In the mean time, just go to the main website, and click on Help, and at the bottom of the help page, is all the IceChat 7 stuff.
The IceChat God