Author Topic: Why is everyone so quiet?  (Read 5863 times)

childowind

Why is everyone so quiet?
« on: May 05, 2007, 07:01:43 PM »
This may be the wrong place to post this, and if it is I apologize profusely.

I know that this is probably something really stupid, but I'm completely new to the entire IRC experience so bear with me.

I'm using IceChat 7.11 and I am able to connect to servers and channels just fine, however no one seems to be talking. No matter what channel, or how many people are there, or how long I stay, there simply is nothing coming through. I have the same problem with Search IRC's java client.

I know that this is not a problem with my firewall because I completely turned that off to test whether or not it was blocking messages from coming through, so now I'm at a loss. Can anyone help?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Why is everyone so quiet?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »
Welcome to IRC, where people spend more time idling then actually chatting.

It has nothing to do with your firewall, or you would not be able to connect at all.

Just keep looking for other channels.

I can easily give you some channels that will give you so much activity, you will be thanksful when its quiet again :)

LOL. you posted the same message on SearchIRC.
Thats amusing  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 07:21:30 PM by Snerf »
The IceChat God

childowind

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 10:39:56 PM »
It just seemed odd that I was getting nothing from anywhere so obviously I figured that it had to be something with me.  Does that mean that I have low self esteem?  ummm...

My boyfriend and I tested a channel earlier to see if I could receive anything from him.  I could, so now I know it really was just people idling.  Welcome to the sound of silence I guess?

A list of channels would be awesome if it isn't too much trouble.  Like I stated, I'm an extreme newbie to the entire IRC thing and have no idea at all of where to go to hang out with really intelligent, awesome people having really cool, intelligent conversations.  Failing that speaking to any sort of random dysfunctional person works too....

About the search IRC thing, well... I had to cover my bases right?

Morio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 12:01:19 AM »
hang out with really intelligent, awesome people having really cool, intelligent conversations

Yeah, good luck with that :D
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

childowind

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 12:10:04 AM »
Yeah, good luck with that :D

It could happen right?  It's not likely, granted, but it could.  :-D

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 11:43:04 AM »
There are channel lists, you click on the #F toolbar item.
Not recommended for large networks, as you could end up with 20,000+ items.

Best to use SearchIRC's website to find channels, and just clicking on the irc:// links to make IceChat go to those channels/servers.
The IceChat God