Author Topic: Stripped down version of IceChat  (Read 8712 times)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Stripped down version of IceChat
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:25:27 PM »
I was recently talking to some people about the feature list in IceChat 7.
The main comment was that for some people, there are too many features.
This made the program seem hard to use, because of its vastness.
If the program interface was simplified, it would help a great deal.

What was proposed was to make a "Lite" build of IceChat 7.
This will remove most of the extra features in the program, setting them
as hard coded options. Another idea was to simply remove the option windows, but
still allowing them to be set in the INI Files.

Removing the script engine, removing popup menus and aliases, and so many other "un-necessary" options from IceChat would speed up the program itself, and also create a smaller footprint.

Basically, it would take the client down to its bare roots, and leave it as such.

This would then be a seperate install from IceChat 7 itself, for instance calling it IceChat 7 Lite, or such.

Any ideas or comments about the idea would be appreciated.
The IceChat God

Nequissimus

• http://www.web-master-tim.de
Re: Stripped down version of IceChat
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 02:23:47 AM »
You coult make a "switch" in Icechat which allows the user to decide whether to use "lite" oder "full" version.
You would not have to make a second version and everybody could switch between both versions.
So if you would like to use lite, just push the button, select an option or something. If you need the features again, you can easily get back to the "full" version.
"The greatest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."

(George Bernard Shaw)

llama009

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 12:49:21 AM »
That's a really good idea.
Maybe in options window or something have a thingie called enable lite mode, which will pop up a message saying how to use it, then an enable full mode if you want to go back

acklan

• Mew!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 10:17:12 PM »
Reduce it to the size it would operate on a PDA. Preferably a Blackberry.

SugarPlum

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 11:45:53 AM »
Hey Snerf.
I think having the two programs seperate would be the best.
It sounds the easiest, and that it would work better.
<3

acklan

• Mew!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 07:09:18 PM »
Actually after looking into the idea it may not be worth the effort. All Blackberry application are written in Java. If I understand this correctly, it means that ICEchat would have to be rewritten in Java. In essence creating a new program. I do not believe IceChat is written in Java is it?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 08:05:46 PM »
Nope, IceChat is not written in Java.
I just dont see making a seperate program feasable either.
A lot of work, for something so few people would use/need.
Guess people will just have to be happy with what we got :)
The IceChat God

acklan

• Mew!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 08:11:04 PM »
Understood.

Karl

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:36:51 AM »
I can not agree less.
If you compare IceChat with other IRC-clients, IceChat have very few features. I would actually like more features in IceChat. The program isn't hard to use, even fore new people. The only thing you might want to change when you first install IceChat is "remember window position", change your nick, maybe turn on login and so and after that you don't need to change anything. It's really simple and a stripped down version of IceChat would be impossible to use. Compare IceChat with Mirc when it comes to features and you will know what I mean. If there is a program that needs a stripped down version it's Mirc. If some people now may think that Icechat is hard to use which I can't belive, maybe you can introduce one "Simple mode" and one "Advance mode". But, that's not necessary, IceChat is more then good as it is now. But more features and setting are welcome.

acklan

• Mew!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 10:29:20 AM »
I believe you missed what I really meant. I did not want to strip the program down for it's current use, but to get it to 100k to 200k so it could be used on a Blackberry. Like jmIRC. As the create stated earlier, that will not happen.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
Well, I actually started to write a Pocket PC version of IceChat, but I am not working on it as anything serious. But so far, I have managed to get it to connect to servers and you can join channels and chat. 
The IceChat God

acklan

• Mew!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »
That is very interesting. I am using jmIRC only because i did not think you had one available. I suppose since it is not posted for downloads it is still a work in progress. Well either way I believe it would be a treat to use a ICEchat pocket version on my Blackberry.
If nothing else I will continue to enjoy your program. Keep up the excellent work.
If you feel like browsing stop by the #BleepingComputer chat on irc.wyldryde.org . That is where I heard of ICEchat.

M3t0r

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 11:33:43 AM »
there are many features, i don't need^^

is it a idea to choos the features that icechat wouldn'nt run at satrup, so you could add a new menu, wehere all features are listed, e.g. popupmenus, or colored styles, and could choos if it would be active on next startup, or not, and you could set parameters, e.g. -themes

so if you start icechat with the parameter -themes, it would load the colored themes feautre, if you have deselcet  it in the feature menu

i hope you understand me;)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 02:39:09 PM »
I find it quite humourous that someone could think that IceChat does not have enough options. I feel there are too many options. Oh well, each to his or her own. My guess is, the person didnt even explore all the options, I find it more then comparable to mirc for options.
The IceChat God