Author Topic: Is IRC Dieing, or are new people still discovering it  (Read 9659 times)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Is IRC Dieing, or are new people still discovering it
« on: April 18, 2006, 02:39:18 PM »
Seems that IRC is dieing a slow death, and transforming into Internet Relay File Transfer instead of Internet Relay Chat.
Whats your opinion on the matter.
The IceChat God

Morio

• Global Moderator
Re: Is IRC Dieing, or are new people still discovering it
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 05:58:57 AM »
Yeah, I've noticed that real discussions (saying 'hello' is not a real discussion  :-D) have become more rare lately, but personally I'm not yet ready to dig a hole in the ground.

About the new people discovering IRC. One thing that's making new IRC users fewer is the large number of instant messengers, for some reason people seem to find IRC harder 'to use' than MSN, AIM, ICQ... Yeah, I agree, it takes a bit more time to get into, but IRC is more fun imo, since, you can join almost any channel you want, it's kinda hard to find new friends on MSN, because you have to know their address and stuff, on IRC you can just join a channel and start talking to someone.

Also, IRC has it's 20th anniversary in 2008 (IRC was originally invented by a finn named Jarkko Oikarinen in the year 1988), let's keep it alive until then  :-)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

BigJack

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 03:49:09 PM »
IRC is changing ..... but that doesn't mean it's dying.   I just discovered IceChat after checking out about 30 different IRC clients, both stand alone and Java .    I've been wanting to move my club from its existing Yahoo chat room to an IRC room, because Yahoo is just really bad from start to finish.

I found a nice, small, quiet IRC server and by using it and IceChat, I expect to have a great setup.

The big IRC servers need to be avoided because of all the crap there but there are some great small servers out there

acklan

• Mew!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 07:54:01 PM »
No I don't think IRC is dying. It is transforming, I believe, just like the internet it's self. I started on the internet in the early 90's with DOS and IRC. By 98 I had drifted away. In 2005 I came back due to several www sites that use the IRC for real time help. I believe it is alive and well, but is geared more towards the internet purest.
I may be wrong but I hope I am not.

ALIENS-EXIST[A]

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 10:28:07 PM »
i know one reasons on my chat network in croatia

first - before was DIALUP, so people pay theirs time on chat...and try say lot text because "time fly"

now is all DSL and different method of payments...pay traffic.

now them hang all day and say 2 words  :|

DarkStar

• Scripts for Praise
    • CorpseCorp
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:17:10 PM »
I actually think IRC is growing. With chat rooms hosted by Yahoo, AIM, and other such services, there are tons of spam bots. I can't get into a single chat room on AIM about 'Politics', 'Books', or other such things, without getting 15 messages a second about some girl doing something she shouldnt be doing.

The nice thing about IRC is that it is pretty much controlled by users. People can be kicked from channels, killed from servers, ect, for breaking the rules. The worst i've ever seen done on AIM was someone get disconnected for flood. they were back two minutes later.

I'm encouraging all my friends to use IRC. And, IRC has definately made my time on the internet funner instead of reading some article, posting a message, and not getting a reply for three days.
This message brought to you by the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

TheTitan08

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:16:55 PM »
Well...Actually I just found IceChat and have been using IRC alot and also I play a Game Called Rigs of Rods it a a sweet Game it is simulation of Planes, Trucks, Cars, and Boats, and people like me make vehicles and terrains!! I am a well trained at making 3D things using a program using blender....but as I was trying to say I use IceChat for there IRC Channels too!

Blaze

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »
Well I am back to learn how to really use my icechat. I need to learn OP controls this time. I know I have gotten one other to try it out so far.