Author Topic: Sticky Tabs  (Read 5651 times)

icuser23

Sticky Tabs
« on: May 22, 2006, 09:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the new beta! Working great over here. :-D

There are two anomalies that I forgot to mention before that I noticed were still in the newest beta.

One is the sticky channel tab problem. Sometimes, I come back to see that IceChat is stuck on one tab and clicking on the other tabs doesn't work. It switches to the clicked tab for a millisecond and then goes back to the original tab. It becomes stuck like this until you restart the program. A temporary fix is to ctrl-tab out of the tab, and then all the other tabs are clickable. But once you minimize and restore IceChat, it is back on the original stuck tab. :-(

The other thing may be related to the IRC network and not IceChat. On channels that don't have any private modes enabled, normally one can do a /topic <channel> to see their topic. This works fine when I test it on other clients. But I haven't been able to do this on IceChat since version 5.

Thanks. :-D

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Sticky Tabs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 12:12:55 AM »
Ok, with the "sticky tabs" problem. Do you run your windows maximized? I have seen this happen myself, and setting the windows not to be maximixed, fixed the problem. Never had this problem occur when the windows where not maximized.
It may have been because I minimized a window once, but I can't recall, its been a while. All I noticed was that it would switch to the other window you picked, and then quickly back to the stuck one.
So just curious if it was the same way. I have never had to restart IceChat to fix any sort of a problem though, but then I can always find my way out of them quite easily. :)

As for the /topic issue, doing /topic on its own will show the topic of the current channel. If you want to show the topic of another channel, you can send /topic #channel. But if #channel is not your current channel/window, the topic shows up in the #channel window, not the current window. If you want to see it in the current window. try //echo -a $chan(#channel).topic .
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:17:08 AM by Snerf »
The IceChat God

icuser23

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 09:36:17 PM »
Hello,

Ok, with the "sticky tabs" problem. Do you run your windows maximized? I have seen this happen myself, and setting the windows not to be maximixed, fixed the problem. Never had this problem occur when the windows where not maximized.

I'm not running IceChat maximized. The window is at the top-left of the screen and there's room at the right and bottom. If there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot, please let me know. So far, the problem hasn't occurred again.

As for the /topic issue, doing /topic on its own will show the topic of the current channel. If you want to show the topic of another channel, you can send /topic #channel. But if #channel is not your current channel/window, the topic shows up in the #channel window, not the current window. If you want to see it in the current window. try //echo -a $chan(#channel).topic .

I understand. What I meant was for channels that I'm not a part of. Like eavesdropping, if I want to check the topic title of another channel without joining it, I can do a /topic and it will display it in the current window. But I haven't been able to do this with IceChat 7. :-(

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 10:22:07 PM »
Hello

I did not mean IceChat itself being maximized, I meant the channel windows inside it.

And now I understand what you mean by the topic issue. The next Beta build will have a solution.
The IceChat God

icuser23

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 11:43:17 PM »
Ah yes, the chat windows are maximized. :-D I use the tabs to browse through them.

And from your reply, I was able to replicate the sticky tab behavior. If I minimize a chat window by accident and then maximize it again, the problem will occur. Thereon if I minimize and restore the program window, the tab will again be active and stuck.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 07:22:41 AM »
Ok then, its the same way I recall then, minimizing a window causes it to have problems.
Now I have something to work with.
The IceChat God

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:59:48 AM »
Well, looks like I found the problem, did some testing, and the sticky tabs problem seems to have disappeared. The fix will appear in the next Beta build.
The IceChat God

icuser23

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »
Well, looks like I found the problem, did some testing, and the sticky tabs problem seems to have disappeared. The fix will appear in the next Beta build.

Awesome! You rule. 8-)