Author Topic: Away Usage  (Read 4305 times)

rkbrente

Away Usage
« on: May 24, 2005, 03:06:43 PM »
On a channel I frequent, people set their away message to look like, for instance, "Nick|At Lunch".  I'm trying to set myself away by using the toolbar button and putting my reason there.  What should I put in the "Away Nick" section of the server editor?  Right now I have "Nick|$awayreason", thinking that I saw "$awayreason" being the variable that is loaded by using the away toolbar button.  When I tried this, my nick didn't change when I set myself away.  Thanks.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Away Usage
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 10:21:59 PM »
Away Nick is the nickname you change to when you set yourself away.
Just your nickname, nothing else. You change this in the Server Editor, and it can be different for each server in the Favorite Server List.

When you click the Away button , it asks for the away reason, and then uses the message, specified in Away Settings in Options. $awayreason is simply substituted with the reason you typed.

When you return from away, it just goes back to the Default Nickname you have chosen in the server editor.
The IceChat God

rkbrente

Away Usage
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 01:21:18 AM »
So there is no way to pass a variable into the "Away Nick"?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Away Usage
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 07:23:01 AM »
Away Nick is your nickname, nothing else. If you are wanting to change your away nickname to something different each time, then you might as well do it manually.
You could make an alias to do something like this, where you send the message, and change your nickname, but not using the /away command.
Aliases can contain multiple lines for multiple commands.
The IceChat God