Author Topic: Connection Reset by Peer  (Read 13812 times)

Llewoj

Connection Reset by Peer
« on: February 12, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
Hi, I've been using IceChat for a while now since it's the chat cool people use and I'm cool.  XD  Anyhows, I installed a new router a D-Link DIR-615, after installation IceChat keeps getting disconnected from the server every few minutes, I can reconnect again but I always will get disconnected with the "Connection reset by peer" error message.  I'm fairly sure it's my router, maybe it's a setting or something, can anyone help me?  I tried other chat clients like mibbit and KVIrc and I do not get the same problems.  I really want IceChat because it has good functions and easy to use.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Connection Reset by Peer
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:46:20 PM »
Does it happen consistently, or when you do not type for a few minutes?

You may want to try, in Server Settings for that particular server, to turn on the "Server Lag" feature, and see if it helps.
The IceChat God

Llewoj

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »
It happens consistently whether I type or I idle.  Will give your suggestion a try.

Llewoj

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:01:17 AM »
Okay so I tried your suggestion but it didn't work, whenever I connect to icechat though my router it would keep disconnecting.  But if I connect directly to the PC without the router, things are good.

Another thing I noticed is if I have utorrent running, icechat wouldn't even connect to servers but once torrent is off I can use icechat.

Is this a bandwidth issue?  Thanks in advance.

Morio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:09:14 AM »
Sometimes when you have a lot of connections (for example when downloading torrents) your router might fail to find a dns server. I had that problem at some point a long time ago, and then it helped when I manually defined the ip addresses of the dns servers provided by my isp.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »
Yes, if you have no problem without the router, and a problem with the router, then I would suspect the router.
But that is strange that other clients work fine. Mibbit isnt one to compare to, as it uses the web, but kvirc does not.

One small suggestion, have you tried IceChat 9, and see if it has the same problems?

Also, which version of Windows are you using?
The IceChat God

Llewoj

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »
I have 2 PCs, one using Windows 7 and an older one using XP (at different locations of course).   I have installed icechat 9 on both now but am still experiencing the same problems.  Well so far my solutions are either not using the router when I use icechat, turning of torrent when I'm using icechat and if I have to use the router I use KVIrc.

@Morio how do you manually define the DNS?  Sorry I'm kinda tech-ignorant.

P.S.  I like the look of version 9...  Gonna stick with it.  XD
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:31:20 PM by Llewoj »

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:05:01 AM »
Is this happening with all the servers you are connected to, or just 1 in particular?
The IceChat God

Llewoj

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
As far as I can tell, all...  If torrent is on, I only get up to...

[03:19.25] --retribution.sg.as.irchighway.net-- *** Looking up your hostname...
[03:19.25] --retribution.sg.as.irchighway.net-- *** Checking Ident
[03:19.29] --retribution.sg.as.irchighway.net-- *** Found your hostname

I tried connecting to other servers...

[03:20.01] -irc.quakenet.org- *** Attempting to connect to irc.quakenet.org (83.140.172.212) on port 6667
[03:20.01] -irc.quakenet.org- Sending User Registration Information
[03:20.02] -irc.quakenet.org- *** Looking up your hostname
[03:20.02] -irc.quakenet.org- *** Checking Ident
[03:20.02] -irc.quakenet.org- *** Couldn't look up your hostname

[03:19.48] -irc.freenode.net- *** Attempting to connect to irc.freenode.net (213.179.58.83) on port 6667
[03:19.48] -irc.freenode.net- Sending User Registration Information
[03:19.49] --gibson.freenode.net-- *** Looking up your hostname...
[03:19.49] --gibson.freenode.net-- *** Checking Ident
[03:19.49] --gibson.freenode.net-- *** Couldn't look up your hostname

And that's the farthest it goes...  But once torrent is off, I can connect no problem.

The router problem, it happens with every server too.  I don't have to connect the router if the wife is not using her laptop but it's kind of a pain to keep connecting and disconnecting the router if you know what I mean.   :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:24:59 AM by Llewoj »

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »
Are you connecting to these same servers using kvirc?
I really can't see why IceChat is behaving like that, if kvirc does not.

The fact that is "as far as it goes" makes no sense either.
I need to see what happens next.
I can see why it is hanging on ident.. but that takes 20-30 seconds max, if port 113 is blocked. Then it should just resume.

And "couldnt lookup hostname" as well. In your 1st example , it finds the hostname, in the rest it does not.
Something else is going on here.
The IceChat God

Llewoj

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »
Oh the couldn't look up host name, I think it's because my nick isn't registered on those servers, I just tried to connect to them to see if I could.   I tried connecting with KVIrc to the same servers and I got in. The problem gets resolved when I turn off torrent though which is what I do, I will just turn torrent on when I go to sleep.  XD

My main concern actually is the router thing, why I keep getting disconnected if the router is connected.  It will auto-reconnect but it will keep on disconnecting every few minutes.  That's the main reason I keep KVIrc as a back-up, if the router is needed and I need to connect to IRC, I have to use KVIrc else I can't seem to keep a stable connection in icechat. 

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »
Yes, sorry, I do not know what the problem is. Too many variables that just don't make much sense.
The IceChat God

Morio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 12:05:49 AM »
Have you tried connecting to the servers using the direct IP address instead of the actual domain name?
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Llewoj

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
It worked!  THANKS MORIO and SNERF!!!   :-) :-) :-)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 05:20:42 PM by Llewoj »

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »
Good call Morio, never would have thought of that, even though I noticed the hostname problems.
It is clearly a DNS issue.
The IceChat God