Author Topic: Complete Detachment All Servers  (Read 2085 times)

Borg

Complete Detachment All Servers
« on: January 11, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »
Not sure exactly what is going on, but it's rather strange. While connected to several networks, out of nowhere suddenly all connectivity to any server ceases with no disconnect alert or anything from the client. The client just seemingly 'works', but the connectivity just dies. Even if one tries to disconnect and reconnect, there is no connectivity at all. Sometimes when restarting the client it seems to go back to normal and works, but then shortly afterward at times it does the same exact thing and just quits responding to any network activity until it is again restarted. I noticed too if I restarted the client and reconnected everything within only a minute or so it would become unresponsive again almost right away, but if I closed it and wait about 2 minutes, things would connect properly again. It keeps doing this on and off.

So, to investigate I checked network and services activity and discover that even though the client had seemingly been closed and shut down when I had done so the proper way, the process would remain open and hung consuming virtually all CPU and memory. Killing the processes and restarting the program fixed this, but I'm curious is it just me experiencing this periodically?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:47:56 AM by Borg »

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Complete Detachment All Servers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:02 PM »
So this is happening to all servers you are connecting to?
The IceChat God

Borg

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
It does yeah like all of a sudden the whole client just goes unresponsive to network activity and I can't disconnect to reconnect. It just sits there as if it were still connected and nothing sends nor receives. I tested this with an eggdrop to see if traffic had actually ceased and it had. IceChat functions as it should in this state as far as menus and other features go, but anything network wise just quits. I've encountered this twice so far.

I've also noticed too for some reason the client after a period of time sometimes will eat up almost all of the CPU from 70% to 9x% sometimes and will not drop until the client is closed down. Even if the client is not busy with activity it does this and will hold around 72-74% CPU use. In this state too the same thing happens with the shutdown of the program as mentioned previously where it just stays hung in the task manager still running even though the GUI has been shut down properly.

I checked the console and error logs, but there is nothing indicative of an error. Suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:43:46 PM by Borg »

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »
I have never had a problem with IceChat eating alot of CPU at all.
And I keep the client running for days on end, and it barely uses any CPU at all.
Now mind you, I am not in any overly busy channels or such, but I don't see that being a big issue.
The IceChat God

Borg

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »
Well, I'll keep an eye on it and try to get as much info I can gather on the issue if I can. I am on a fair amount of channels and they are usually fairly busy. I connect to about 5+ servers averaging 12+/- channels per server and as well have my IRC client up pretty much 24/7. I"m not sure what the deal is, but I thought I should maybe see if anyone has had this issue before to perhaps find any sort of cause and effect scenario.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »
Also, I sit in #icechat2009 on the Quakenet server, its where I chat and test stuff with IceChat 9. Good place to and and chat if you feel the need.
The IceChat God