Author Topic: Input line is too long  (Read 4134 times)

Duesy

Input line is too long
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:28:07 AM »
I'm using the latest version of IceChat. I'm contually receiving the above error message 3 times per minute.. which is VERY off-putting. It seems like it's a system generated message from IceChat, however, I've noticed that it's appearing when I'm connected to the Undernet. I'm now trying other servers but the Undernet is my "home" right now. How do I rid myself of this nuisance error message?

Morio

• Global Moderator
Re: Input line is too long
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:00:10 AM »
That message appears when the message you are trying to send is longer than the longest message allowed by the server.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Duesy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:49:28 AM »
Thanks for your advice.. but I wonder now as to what I could have done to cause it to appear, and moreover, how I can stop the server generating repeated error messages?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
Don't write such long messages, problem goes away.
The IceChat God

Duesy

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
For months, I've wondered and wondered about this strange, superfluous message I've been getting.. ie., "Input line is too big". Some people advised me it was me..that I was genuinely inputting lines that are too big. This has never been the case, and what's more, I discovered that it only appeared when I was using specific servers. That turned out to be an important clue. What I've discovered is that if one has lots of "buddies" on a particular server, a point's reached where Ice-Chat is unable to handle the quantity of "buddies". As a consequence, it stops reporting the movements of one's "buddies" and Ice-Chat then returns that familiar "Input line is too long" error message. As to what's the actual limit it can handle in the quantity of "buddies", I'm unsure but my quantiry must have been exceeding about 20 on a given server. Like I commenred earlier, it is specific to a particular server and that's proved to be an important clue. 

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »
Ah, yes, that does make sense.

I am glad this issue is no longer the case in IceChat 9.
The IceChat God