Author Topic: Playing wav files  (Read 3664 times)

robw92

Playing wav files
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
I am new to icechat and can't seem to figure this out.

The /play command does play my wav files locally. However, it won't play them in the channel I'm in so that others can hear them. Is there a different command for this? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Playing wav files
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »
That is not how it works. They have to have the wav files on their own computers, IRC does not stream sound files through a channel for others to hear them. This is not instant messaging.
The IceChat God

robw92

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:34:06 PM »
I know how IRC works. I tested it with another computer in the house that DOES have it's own sound files. Each computer has Icechat, each computer has mirc. Icechat is the ONLY client of the 3 i've tested on here that WON'T play the files in the channel.

Anyone else have a solution?

ElementAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:36:01 PM »
Wait, so how exactly does it work?  Does it only play certain files that it knows (thinks) are on everyone's computer?  Does it send/autoaccept .wav files through DCC?

(This also sounds like it has the potential to be really annoying really fast.)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:37:05 AM »
robw32, so tell us, how does mirc do it? With a script, I assume?
The IceChat God

robw92

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »
Actually, mirc does it the same way most clients do it. The command syntax may be a bit different, but the result is the same. The client (mirc, icechat, pirch, whichever client is used) connects to the server, and the server distributes the info between the clients (channel text, pvt msgs, sound, etc.)

The command for icechat (/play) does play it locally. Mirc's /splay command does the same thing, but the /sound command plays it both locally and to any computer on the same channel that has the same file being played. So there's no disputing the fact that the sound files have to be on both computers. I just thought icechat may have another sound command that I'm unaware of.

Hope that clears up any confusion. Cheers  :-)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »
Ok, now we are clear. The /play command plays it locally. the /sound is an MIRC command for sending out a notice or some kind of a request, there is no such command in IceChat. In fact, I have never even heard of the command until now.

But, that does not mean it is not possible. It would simply mean finding out what the raw command that is sent out, and do the same with IceChat with an alias. I would guess it is some kind of a ctcp message or such. Then you can script IceChat for an onnotice or such to make it work on your machine as well.
The IceChat God