Author Topic: Portable IceChat?  (Read 8375 times)

Inkpot

Portable IceChat?
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:49:19 AM »
Hi there,

I was wondering if there is any possible way to make IceChat fully portable (ie, useable from a USB stick) without writing a bunch of settings to the system registry? IceChat is already an awesome program, but being able to make it portable would be an absolute godsend in my case. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Inkpot

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Portable IceChat?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:31:35 PM »
No, its not possible. Because IceChat needs runtimes installed on the system it runs off of.
If the system has the runtimes installed, then it will use IceChat.
There is only 1 setting it uses in the Registry, and this is for irc:// links to work, and that is done on install. Not needed to make IceChat run.

You can make it save its "settings" to a folder elsewhere, by starting IceChat with a command line parameter.

IceChat.exe -profile C:\SomeFolder
The IceChat God

Inkpot

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 01:39:34 PM »
Ok, so here's what I did....

I installed IceChat on my computer...I copied and pasted the IceChat folder into my USB drive. Then, I uninstalled Icechat from my computer. I tried running Icechat from my USB drive and it worked! Now my question is - is it writing registry keys that won't be deleted after the program is closed?

I'm sorry, I'm a newbie at this stuff and trying to understand. Forgive my newbishness. :)

Inkpot

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »
Like I said, IceChat does not write anything to the registry, except for making the irc:// links work. No other settings are written to the registry, they are all stored in INI files.
If you do not start IceChat with the command line parameters, it will use the default location in Documents and Settings, to read your INI files, not from your USB.
The IceChat God

Twinkie

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »
I know this thread is old, but it would be nice if you could enter a relative location into Icechat's profile parameter, so shortcuts would not have to be changes from computer to computer. Then, Icechat could be truly portable. Also, if Icechat cannot find the path specified, it should display a message instead of crashing.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:54 PM »
Well, sorry , only current available using a direct path.
IceChat 7.x can not "truly" be fully portable because of the DLL requirements, in any case.

IceChat 2009, will only require the .NET Framework, which is much more common, so it can be made a lot more portable.
The IceChat God