Author Topic: How do I hide my IP Address?  (Read 53347 times)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
How do I hide my IP Address?
« on: May 02, 2007, 03:11:24 PM »
A lot of people may be concerned that their IP Address/Host is being shown to everyone else on IRC.

Some IRC Networks, like Quakenet and Undernet, offer services to allow you to hide your IP Address.
In order to do so, you usually need to register with them, on their websites.

Lets do this example with Quakenet, the Network where the #icechat channel is located.
Quakenet's website is located at http://www.quakenet.org. They do haev FAQ Sections for more information regarding this post.

(This information comes from http://www.quakenet.org/faq/faq.php?c=1&f=51#51)

First you thing you need to do, is connect to the server.

One you are connected, then type this in the console:
Use your own email address,  not user@host.com

Code: [Select]
/msg Q HELLO user@host.com user@host.com
A Message and a link where you can obtain your password will be sent to the email address you supplied. You will be required to read and reenter a series of characters before you are given your password. Once you have this password you can then use the AUTH command:

/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH username password
Where username is identical to the nick you used when you said HELLO.

If you see a message back from Q that includes the line:

--Q-- AUTH'd successfully.

...then you know you have said HELLO and AUTH'd correctly.

Now, once you have got this all working, you want it to do this automatically each time you connect to Quakenet.

To do this, open up the server editor, by clicking on the Quakenet one in the Favorite Server List, and clicking the Edit button below.
Go to the AutoPerform Section.

Copy into there the  "/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH username password" line.
This will now automatically AUTH you to Q when you logon.

Now, finally, how do you hide your IP Address. Well, its quite simple.
You have to set mode +x on yourself. To this this automatically, enter , in AutoPerform, on the next line this.

//mode $me +x
Your AutoPerform should now look like this.

/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH username password
//mode $me +x

Use your own username and password of course.

Make sure that the "Enable AutoPerform List" box is checked.

Click on the Save Button, and your set.

For Undernet, you also have to create an Account, but its not with Q, it is with X, and the commands are slightly different.
Goto http://cservice.undernet.org/live/ for any more information on it.

But again, you add the command in AutoPerform for the Undernet server in the Favorite Server List to LOGIN/AUTH , and then set your mode to +x, and your set.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 07:57:33 PM by Snerf »
The IceChat God

Morio

• Global Moderator
Re: How do I hide my IP Address?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 09:33:10 AM »
I just thought about a few things that might be worth mentioning about QuakeNet.

if you set your mode to +x when in a channel the other users will see it as you quitting with the quitmessage "Registered" and instantly reajoining (just in case you were wondering why some people always quit and rejoin right after joining a channel.

When you have authed with Q you can get automatic op/voice from a channel with the bots L or Q.

to get L to your own channel, read: http://quakenet.org/faq/faq.php?c=3&f=112#112

getting L on your channel makes close to impossible to take over (unless you mess up really bad)

quakenet also offers a bunch of other services for you, for more information check out http://www.quakenet.org
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

BigRed

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 03:09:14 PM »
Fair warning about using the auth command from your auto-perform, if your lag is higher than the server lag sometimes when you arrive in a channel the +x won't be applied in time and your ip still shows and you will need to part then return to have it hidden (even though everyone already saw it). This only applies to quakenet as far as I know.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
This would apply to Quakenet and Undernet. A way around that is to use a script that detects when you are authed, and then it autojoins your channels, exactly what I do.

on ^:hiddenhost:{
   if ($me != $servernick) {
     /nick $servernick
   }
   /autojoin
   /rejoin
   }
}
The IceChat God

Morio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 10:40:01 PM »
Fair warning about using the auth command from your auto-perform, if your lag is higher than the server lag sometimes when you arrive in a channel the +x won't be applied in time and your ip still shows and you will need to part then return to have it hidden (even though everyone already saw it). This only applies to quakenet as far as I know.

No need to part and rejoin, because you do that automativally when you set your mode to +x. This is why you sometimes see people quit with the message 'Registered' and then immediately rejoining. You don't see this yourself, which is why your own nicklist won't be updated (any way to make IceChat do this btw?). At least this is how it works on Quakenet, I don't know about Undernet as I don't use it.

But yes, as you said, people will have seen your ip/hostmask already.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

BigRed

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 10:48:02 PM »
I was talking about if you enter the room while +x is entering the server. You will have mode +x but in the nicklist your IP still shows. If you try setting +x again it will just sit there and do nothing, it doesn't appear to state that your command was accepted or denied, and then nothing changes. It appears to mostly happen on the port80c.se.quakenet.org quakenet server. No idea why.

Morio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 06:15:23 AM »
Yeah, but your IP only shows for yourself, not for the others in their nicklists.

BigRed

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »
That's a good thing to know. Wish you would have pointed that out sooner so I could maintain at least a small bit of dignity  :-P

BigRed

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 07:17:58 PM »
Also you are partially mistaken, your IP does show up in their nicklists. Only for people that were already a part of a room before you entered though.

Morio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
If you are already on a channel when you set your mode to +x the others in the channel should see this:

Nick (someident@somehost) Quit ( Registered )
Nick (someident@something.users.quakenet.org) has joined #channel

And because of this the irc client records the change in the host. And I just checked this, as I'm almost always online, so I'm almost always in the channel when someone joins, and all hosts show up correctly in my nicklist.

But of course, if people are already in the channel when you join they will still see your real host in the first join line.

BigRed

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 12:25:47 AM »
I was talking about if you set +x but didn't get the host mask notice until after you enter a room. it happens with auto join rooms on servers sometimed.

Morio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 06:11:10 AM »
That's true, they will see you joining once with your actualy hostmask, but as soon as the +x gets through, they should see you quitting and rejoining with the new hostmask.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 07:54:17 AM »
This is why I posted my script above, it will wait for the "hiddenhost" notice, and then autojoin channels and such.
Then you are not going to show your standard host.
You just disable the autojoin in the server editor, just make sure the channels are check marked.
The IceChat God

BigRed

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »
I just set the channels I wanted to an easy alias and wait for the message.

papillon

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
Is it possible to hide ones ip address on the DALnet server?

I have tried running IceChat with a proxy setting, but DALnet either refuses to connect me or KLines me.