Author Topic: List of Problems/Bugs  (Read 3718 times)

windsor

List of Problems/Bugs
« on: April 13, 2007, 01:17:40 PM »
Hello. I like this client a lot and hope you will keep improving on it. :) There are some quirks though that I wish would get ironed out. They are rather technical:

- The highlight mechanism matches whole words only. If someone types "abercrombie" and you have it set to highlight with "cromb", it will not work.

- As Snerf has clarified, channels with more than 300 users will not have the nick list sorted. Would be nice if it did. :)

- Server Management: the ability to delete servers while connected.

- Server Management: When adding a channel to the AutoJoin list, it would be nice to insert it where the highlight is positioned, in cases where the AutoJoin list is long and you want a specific join order.

- Server Management: the ability to permanently disable the wizard when adding new servers.

- If you are connected to the same IRC network with different aliases, IceChat will become confused when someone queries you. Every line that you reply with will have the originator alternate through every alias.

- Performance: If I use the default font (which I have forgotten), then text rendering and window scrolling is very slow. Changing to a font like Courier New speeds things up considerably.

- Chat Window: When scrolling up and looking at chat history, any new lines will drag the window back down. An option to disable/enable this would be nice.

- Chat Window: the ability to set the number of chat lines to buffer would be a huge plus.

Keep up the great work! 8-)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: List of Problems/Bugs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:25:34 PM »
Well, some of those issues are very easily fixed.

With text highlighting, simply use wildcards.
*cromb* will trigger when someone types abercrombie.

The channels with 300 users issue now sorts with with version 7.12, as nicklist sort function is improved on a bit.

Servers can not be deleted while connected, this just causes too many problems. That is not going to change.

Will see about the AutoJoin list for 7.12, inserting at point.

Will see about adding an option to Disable the Server Wizard.

The default font is Verdana. It is set to this for many reasons. But you know as well as I do, you can easily change this to suite whatever you want. If I change it to Courier New, someone else will complain they dont like it. Its a no-win siutation. The default stays.

When scrolling up, new lines drag the window down? No, it only did that in version 5, unless, it is truncating the text when you happen to be scrolling back. Cant help that.

Not going to add an option to change the length of chat buffers.  It is set to 500 "full" lines, thats more then plenty. Look at the log files if you need more room. Otherwise, more complaints will come about "performance" issues :)

The one I left out was about connecting to the same network more then once, with different aliases.
How does IceChat get confused? Each server is seperate internally to the program, all treated as individual objects. Perhaps it is the user that is getting confused.
The IceChat God

windsor

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:09:47 PM »
The default font is Verdana. It is set to this for many reasons. But you know as well as I do, you can easily change this to suite whatever you want. If I change it to Courier New, someone else will complain they dont like it. Its a no-win siutation. The default stays.

I wasn't pointing out Courier New because of its appearance. I mentioned it because it performs a lot faster, and wish Verdana could be as fast.

When scrolling up, new lines drag the window down? No, it only did that in version 5, unless, it is truncating the text when you happen to be scrolling back. Cant help that.

Ah, I thought it still happened. Yeah, it's not there anymore. :)

Not going to add an option to change the length of chat buffers.  It is set to 500 "full" lines, thats more then plenty. Look at the log files if you need more room. Otherwise, more complaints will come about "performance" issues :)

I don't keep log files, but would be more inclined to do so if I could enable/disable logging per channel. Because of a few channels that generate too much text, I could only disable logging completely.

The one I left out was about connecting to the same network more then once, with different aliases.
How does IceChat get confused? Each server is seperate internally to the program, all treated as individual objects. Perhaps it is the user that is getting confused.

Then this is pretty strange. For example, I have two entries for "irc.rizon.net", with two different aliases. If someone PM's me and I reply back, it will use one of the aliases. If he PM's me back and then I reply again, it uses the other alias. It will keep alternating the two. It's happened twice before, and never seems to occur when I initiate the query. It may also happen if I close an existing query window with the same person, but then he messages me again. :?

Another suggestion is a right-click on URL option to copy the URL to the clipboard. I login remotely to another machine that runs IceChat, and it is sometimes hard to highlight only the URL so I can paste it into the browser of the computer I'm using directly.

Thanks for reading my post! Cheers.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:19:45 PM »
Well, logging per channel. You can do that. If you right click the channel tab, on the Channel Bar, a menu pops up.
Under Logging, you can disable logging there.

For the mulitple nicknames.
Are you opening seperate query windows with these people?
Now, there is another bug from someone else, that says when they switch to queries at times, from a channel, it sends the text they wrote to the wrong window, or such. I am in the middle of checking that out atm. Could be a similar issue.

For a right click to copy a url to the clipboard, I will check into that as well.
The IceChat God

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 04:02:19 AM »
I have also been working on getting the Text Windows to display quicker, and I have improved on it a fair amount.
Changing to different fonts reallly didnt notice and change in the speeds at all, but it is displaying it quicker then it was before.
I am also trying the same with the Nicklist.

I have added the ability to right click URL's, they now copy to the clipboard.
The IceChat God