Author Topic: 10053 error... help please!  (Read 3800 times)

Trikster

10053 error... help please!
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:14:59 PM »
I am getting this error.  Regardles of how long it waits to reconnect, I never do.  I have tried each of the default servers plus one other one that isn't on the list (but I added).  The socket error is saying that the program is having an issue and is shutting down.  If it matters, I am on XP, all updated.  I also have this program added to my exclusions list and the port opened on my router.  There should be no reason for the program not to work, any help would be appreciated.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: 10053 error... help please!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:23:53 PM »
There are other messages in the Forums about this error.

The server is simply refusing the connection, or you have a firewall blocking IceChat. Or The server is simply down.
It is not a problem with IceChat itself.
The IceChat God

Trikster

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 01:32:52 PM »
when searching for error 10053 I only got one hit.  All it had was a link to the MS website and what the error means (something about the program terminating the connection).  I am a total novice when it comes to IRC so the explaination means nothing to me.  To address your other points...

1.  If the server is rejecting the connections, every default server is rejecting my connection attempts.
2.  Firewall:  In my initial post, I already mentioned that I had added this program to my exclusions list.  I also manually opened port 6667 and 6668.
3.  I find it hard to believe that every server is down (on the default list)

I even set up a port forwarding routine on my router to no avail.  What can I try next?

Trikster

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:48:21 PM »
Did a general search on Google...  If you are receiving this error message and use McAffee Virus scanner, this might be your problem (it apparently was mine).

The fix...
right-click on the McAffee icon on your system tray and select VirusScan console.
double-click on access protection
under port-blocking, uncheck the two checkboxes by prevent irc communication

Should work now.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 04:19:32 PM »
Yes, I had the same issue with McAfee. So that is a firewall issue (of sorts).
But hey, I can not suggest every thibg, as there are so many different issues.
All I know is, that is not an IceChat problem :)
The IceChat God