Author Topic: A request for IceChat 7, perhaps IceChat 8?  (Read 4651 times)

Anticitizen

A request for IceChat 7, perhaps IceChat 8?
« on: February 24, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »
Hello guys...

I'd just like to start off by saying, I like IceChat...and I love to use it. This is how I sort of arrived at my wish for IceChat.

I now use a Mac, and I would definitely love to see a Mac OS X version of IceChat. IceChat has the strongest, and simplest scripting engine I've seen of any IRC client, and the Mac OS, as far as I've seen, has no IRC client this powerful for free.

If someone could deliver a version of IceChat for OS X...that'd be totally awesome. I'd use it.

Thanks for your time.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: A request for IceChat 7, perhaps IceChat 8?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:04:16 PM »
Well, I dont know much about OSX, but with Linux, there is a product called WINE. I am not sure if there is such a project that runs in OSX. IceChat 7 has been tested under wine, and works very well. There is an article in the forums here on how I had set it up to make it work.

Otherwise, it would take a complete re-write of the program, and in a different programming language. Even though IceChat 8, is being considered to being written, it will be written in C# .Net, which would then require Mono, or a similar product to run in Linux/OSX.

The IceChat God

Anticitizen

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 03:50:07 AM »
Well, I dont know much about OSX, but with Linux, there is a product called WINE. I am not sure if there is such a project that runs in OSX. IceChat 7 has been tested under wine, and works very well. There is an article in the forums here on how I had set it up to make it work.

Otherwise, it would take a complete re-write of the program, and in a different programming language. Even though IceChat 8, is being considered to being written, it will be written in C# .Net, which would then require Mono, or a similar product to run in Linux/OSX.

There's a little addon called CrossOver that allows running of Windows apps in Mac OS X, only problem is it looks really strange, and the script engine appears to be totally broken. IceChat will most likely run in Parallels Desktop, which is something I'll have to try for sure.

As for an actual port of the program itself, I'll see if I can gander into Xcode to see if there's an easy way to bring it over. I sure hope there is.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:29:20 AM »
Yes, I can understand the script engine not working, that didnt work in Linux either. But thats all thats really available, until a complete rewrite of the program is done.
The IceChat God