Author Topic: Tricks for Speeding up DCC transfers in Icechat?  (Read 11319 times)

highlander2000

Tricks for Speeding up DCC transfers in Icechat?
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:51:01 AM »
Hello and Good day,

Have anyone some tips for speeding up DCC transfers in Icechat?  I found the following three tips for mIRC:

1) Increase packet size to 4096 bytes
2) use command  /fsend on
3) use command  /pdcc on

I know the first tip can be applied to Icechat, but I'm not sure about 2 and 3.  Anyone know????

Here is the copy of the article I had found on some mIRC webpage (http://www.mirc.net/newbie/dcc.php)

"A common complaint about DCCs is their lack of speed. mIRC's default DCC options leave the speed at a pathetically low level; to speed things up, try the following commands-

/dcc packetsize 4096
/fsend on
/pdcc on

The first command tells mIRC to send files in 4096 byte packets, the largest possible, and usually the most efficient. (if you are on a slow or noisy connection, you may find a smaller number provides better results.)

The second command tells mIRC to send data without waiting for the other end of the connection to acknowledge the received data. This means packets get sent in groups or streams instead of one at a time, and usually greatly speeds things up. This also disables mIRC's error checking of files being sent. The error checking is redundant. The Internet Protocol already has error checking.

The third command tells mIRC how much to 'pump' the DCC. This will cause mIRC to send data ahead, before the recipient has acknowledge the data that was previously sent to them. This speeds up the transfer by not having to wait between packets for an acknowledgement.

Once these options are set, they should stay set unless you reinstall mIRC."

Thanks to all!  YAYA Icechat!
Beejal

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Tricks for Speeding up DCC transfers in Icechat?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 12:04:27 PM »
Only #1 works, the rest do not apply to IceChat, as they are mIRC preferences.

There is no other way in IceChat to "speed" up DCC, those options simply have not been implemented.
The IceChat God

highlander2000

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 04:38:59 PM »
Thanks for your help anyway.  And don't worry, I still LOVE Icechat!  It was so much easier to configure DCC transfers on Icechat vs. configuring Trillian IRC or mIRC (since I have a hardware router firewall).

I increased the packet size, that may help a little.  What bothered me in the first place about my speed is that DCC transfers always seem to be slow on my PC.  I've tried a variety of ports, and I have a good high speed connection (~4.0 Mbps down, ~400 kbps up).

Hmm, speaking of ports, are there any ports you recommend using for DCC transfers?  Or will any open port do?

=Beejal

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 04:45:54 PM »
For IceChat 7, I could try and implement one of these "speed" DCC options, I will look into it, it sounds like it is feasable, it just has never been suggested before, and I can't think of every option under the sun.  :)

As for DCC Ports, by default its 1024-5000 .. but any port range over 1024 should be fine. It does not leave these ports open in any way, its more if you wish to configure your router to use a certain port range, you can specify it in IceChat.
The IceChat God

highlander2000

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 05:01:48 PM »
Thank you so much, you are wonderful!