Author Topic: no ident response connecting through proxy  (Read 7221 times)

fangorious

no ident response connecting through proxy
« on: August 10, 2005, 10:41:06 AM »
At my office, I can't connect directly to IRC servers (like irc.freenode.net). So I keep an SSH connection to an outside machine with a dynamic proxy on port 1080. This lets me specify localhost:1080 as a SOCKS4 proxy. For a long time, IceChat wouldn't connect to it. But today it finally does! (no idea what happened, not gonna poke the bear) But much to my dismay the connection is now dropped due to irc.freenode.net not receiving an identd response. I never had any trouble with this using X-Chat on Linux, so I'm pretty sure both my SSH proxy tunnel and the router on the other end of the tunnel are ok.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: no ident response connecting through proxy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 03:18:28 PM »
Yes, but that is X-Chat running on Linux, not IceChat running in Windows, comparing apples to oranges.
Make sure that Port 113 is not being blocked, since that is the IdentD Port. But since your running behind a proxy, you cant fix that.
Some networks dont care if your identd port is not functioning, some do. Guess you'll have to see which ones.
Also, many will block you anyways, because you are running behind a proxy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 06:59:16 PM by Snerf »
The IceChat God

fangorious

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 08:12:31 PM »
Well, the IRC and ident protocols should be the same regardless of client or platform, the point I was making was that from the server's perspective, my setup (IRC client behind SOCKS 4 proxy) is acceptable. I found another Windows client from tucows, called Visual IRC, which does connect to irc.freenode.net through the proxy. So I'm quite confident the problem lies in either my configuration of IceChat, or the protocol implementations in IceChat. Either that or X-Chat and Visual IRC implement some neat non-standard extension to the IRC and/or ident protocols. I can also give the trial versions of mIRC and X-Chat a try if you still think my use of a proxy is the culprit.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 08:54:45 PM »
IceChat runs its ident from port 113, and thats all there is to it. If it does not work for you, I am sorry, and you will need to use another program instead. Since I have no proxy to test anything of this sort, I can not provide a solution to the problem.
The IceChat God