Author Topic: User info box at bottom of user list  (Read 4750 times)

mr-b

User info box at bottom of user list
« on: April 26, 2005, 02:24:29 AM »
Instead of having to right-click each user to find out their info, could this be displayed in a box at the bottom of the user list, for any highlighted user?

Also if doing a whois/dns etc., the info is output in the channel window, so it's not clear which output is globally visible i.e. to the channel and which is just locally visible.
It would be much clearer if local output just appeared on the console.

(Note I don't have extensive experience of IRC clients so I've no idea if this is breaking any conventions)

mr-b

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 03:43:00 AM »
BTW I know about the Events option i.e. to select which window they go into, but it's not clear whether events logged into the Channel window are globally visible (one would guess that they are).

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 08:57:06 AM »
Sorry, I really am not clear what your talking about. What do you mean by "globally visible"? Do you mean, if you do a whois, that others see it in the channel as well? That is not the case. As for user info, I am not sure what you mean by that either. What user info are you talking about? Are you talking about the userInfo window?  That needs to be in a seperate window, because IceChat issues a command to the IRC server to get this data, it is not automatically given.

The Events options is so you can direct certain messages to either the channel window, console, or simply hide it. In the upcoming Alpha, there will also be a @Messages option, where it can re-direct to a single custom window.

If I recall, messages that start with * are only shown in your window, except for the user actions (/me).  If a message is preceded with a nickname, like <Snerf> ... then everyone in the channel see's it.

It is not a matter of breaking any convention, everyone just has different preferences of how they like their IRC Client to work. This is why you have options, so you can change these things, like in the Events option.

The default settings in IceChat is one of the hardest thing to determine, because so many have no idea what it is all about, so they think the client is stuck that way, that it can not be changed.

I do hope this clears things up a bit. I guess you just need to get used to the IRC world a bit more.
The IceChat God

mr-b

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
Tx for the info and apologies if I wasn't clear.
I make no apologies for not being an old hand at IRC - but IMO these types of things should be as obvious as possible and easy to use by default without the need to spend lots of time on researching "the IRC world". :)
For example, I suggested to several colleagues that they try using IRC as a communication tool vs yet more email, and everyone tried it, but there's been zero take-up so far as it's perceived as being too complicated and not very obvious what to do by default. A setup wizard would help a lot too!

The issue is that I would have assumed that info that is visible to everyone (globally visible) on the channel would be in the channel window and stuff that is only visible to me would be in a different window e.g. console. Or at least stuff that is local is clearly marked as such. Currently that's not obvious at all with DNS Info or Whois. If everything local was prefixed by * then that would be fine, but it isn't!

So I'd maybe recommend that some of the Events defaults give some separation to local vs world visibility.
Otherwise there's no way ppl are going to use something where it's not clear what is being broadcast to the world and what is local. It's already quite difficult ensuring that you are going to send a msg to the right channel!

The UserInfo part was about not having to right click a user, select a menu option and then have different windows pop-up - but it would be good instead to just highlight a user and have another pane (at the bottom of the user list) in which to display all of this type of info. Some ppl's nicks are rather obscure and it's a bit of a pain having to do lots of right-clicking and menu selection just to find out their details.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 12:28:46 PM »
Ok, now I understand more where your coming from.
And your totally correct, IRC is confusing as heck, and my aim is always to try and make it as easy as possible, w/o compromising the program a great deal.  The "FirstRun" setup wizard will be more elaborate for ver7, when the time comes when I make it.  Some good input from you guys, as what to ask for, etc, would be very beneficial.

As for the UserInfo in another pane below the nicklist, that is a lot of information to display in a small pane. This is why it was made in a seperate window. A seperate pane would be really neat tho, so, I will make a note of that as well. The panes need a lot of work still in ver7.

I will also check through all the messages, and make a change to info that would be showed only locally, changing it from the * currently to something more obvious, -> perhaps. Makes more sense doing that, for sure.

You guys are not gonna let me by easy with this at all, working me to the bone  :)
In the end though, it will all be for the better, it will just take a bit longer to get there :)
The IceChat God

mr-b

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 03:21:13 PM »
Tx for considering all this! ;)

The setup wizard should guide ppl through the basics to get them going i.e.
- defining user ids/nicks
- IRC servers
- browsing channels
- certain automatic behaviour preferences i.e. the auto-startup/connect/away/join-channel options.

However I'm sure more experienced ppl will have more/better ideas.