Author Topic: How can I modify the random quit messages?  (Read 11738 times)

TreeGhost

How can I modify the random quit messages?
« on: April 18, 2005, 11:50:02 PM »
I see $randquit is the quit message.  I like the idea of random messages, but would like some control over those random messages, also.  Is there some place where I can view and modify, if necessary, those random messages?

Thank you.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 08:01:55 AM »
The messages for $randquit are hard coded into the client, and can not be changed. You can make your own text file with messages, and then use the $randphrase(filename) to read a random line from that text file.

You store the file in the IceChat 5 folder. If you want to place the file in the Scripts folder, you would do it like this(if your filename was randquit.txt)

$randphrase(Scripts\randquit.txt)

Make sure you have no blank lines in the text file, and then it will work fine.
The IceChat God

TreeGhost

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 10:03:23 AM »
OK, great .... thank you, Snerf.   :)

Rodrigon

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
Hi!

I do it and it don't work  :(

I had make my own text file with messages, and then use the $randphrase(filename) to read a random line from that text file.

I store the file in the "c:\IceChat5\Scripts" folder.  Then $randphrase(Scripts\randquit.txt) on Main Settings - Quit Message, where before was $randquit.

what's wrong?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 07:27:23 PM »
The Main Settings, if you look at the setting , is "Default Server Settings". This is not the setting for your individual server settings, in the Favorite Server List. You will need to open the Server Editor, for the Server you wish, to change the default quit message.

The Default Server Settings is used for new servers added to the Favorite Server List, and for servers connected with the "/server" command.
The IceChat God

Rodrigon

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 12:18:18 AM »
I'm very sorry, but I make it and it don't work.

1.- I open Icechat v5.50 Build 010905
2.- In Favorite Server List,  I select a Server and push Edit
3.- In Server Editor - Main Settings - Server Information, I modify de quit message. Before $randquit. After $randphrase(Scripts\randquit.txt)
4.- I push Save
5.- I connect to my favorite server
6.- I disconnect my favorite server and ... :(

This is the message:
*** Error: Closing Link: Rodrigon by andromeda.irc-hispano.org (User Quit: $randphrase(Scripts\randquit.txt))

Thank you.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 12:37:04 AM »
Well, sorry , I don't know why it does not work for you, but it has been tested, and I know it does work. I do hope that your C:\IceChat5 folder is where your IceChat5.exe file is stored, along with all the other files it needs.
The other way to do it is to create a file called randphrase.txt , stick it in the IceChat5 folder, and just use $randphrase.
The IceChat God

TreeGhost

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 11:57:32 PM »
Quote from: Snerf
Well, sorry , I don't know why it does not work for you, but it has been tested, and I know it does work. I do hope that your C:\IceChat5 folder is where your IceChat5.exe file is stored, along with all the other files it needs.
The other way to do it is to create a file called randphrase.txt , stick it in the IceChat5 folder, and just use $randphrase.

Maybe the problem lies in this detail ... I have IceChat in C:\Program Files\IceChat as opposed to C:\IceChat5.  I suppose we will have to add the prefix 'Program Files' to your instructions as a result, perhaps ... ? because I am getting the same thing happening here as is Rodrigon.  Thank you.

EDIT:  No ... that doesn't seem to help, either.  I'm stumped.

ADB

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 06:52:20 AM »
The $randphrase identifier was replaced with $read(), wasn't it? Try $read(scripts/randquit.txt)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 08:44:05 AM »
Yes, the Scripts folder has to be under the IceChat program folder, not somewhere else. So, in your case, it has to be in c:\Program Files\IceChat5\scripts, not C:\IceChat5. If you want to make it run from a completely different folder, I think you need to give it the full path to the file.

As for $read, that is not in 5.50, that is in 5.51.
The IceChat God

TreeGhost

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 11:20:17 AM »
Quote from: Snerf
Yes, the Scripts folder has to be under the IceChat program folder, not somewhere else. So, in your case, it has to be in c:\Program Files\IceChat5\scripts, not C:\IceChat5. If you want to make it run from a completely different folder, I think you need to give it the full path to the file.

As for $read, that is not in 5.50, that is in 5.51.

Well ... it's all a "no-go" here.  I cannot get it to work despite all my attempts to follow your instructions.  Drats!

IceChat is a nice piece of work despite this.

TreeGhost

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 12:09:10 PM »
I just have randphrase.txt in the c:\Program Files\IceChat5 folder (same folder whereIceChat5.exe is).  I also have $randphrase showing in my Server Editor for a specific server.  I just get a quit message of '$randphrase' as a result now for that specific server.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 12:12:37 PM »
Well, I am working on the 5.51 Beta, will have to see if it works better for you in that version.
The IceChat God