Author Topic: "Always on Top"  (Read 6813 times)

TreeGhost

"Always on Top"
« on: April 15, 2005, 07:15:12 PM »
I would like to see an "always on top" option available for IceChat.  That way I could browse and monitor a conversation in chat a little better, I think.  Thank you.   :)

ADB

"Always on Top"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 02:39:24 PM »
I've got a suggestion that would put always-on-top to good use.

I wrote a script in IceChat that writes the last few lines of the chat to an INI file, and I coded a program that reads that INI file and displays them in a small window. This is okay for monitoring the chat, but it was very limited.

So, to Snerf: Have you considered a 'compact' mode, perhaps? One that shows, say, the last three or four lines of chat with a small font size, and a miniaturized input box. It would be incredibly useful.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
"Always on Top"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 01:59:42 PM »
The "Always on top" option will be available in the next Alpha.

As for ADB's request, I am looking into making a message window that will allow you to re-direct msgs, from other windows, to view. Not sure how it will be implemented yet, but, its on the "to do list".
The IceChat God

Slup

"Always on Top"
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 04:30:02 AM »
yea an AOT mini me would be cool but so far down the list it probably wouldn't happen.  Unless someone wanted to code one and submit it as an iceextra... ADB?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
"Always on Top"
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:37:24 AM »
This will be able to be done with the custom message windows that are new. With the /aline command, you can add a line to any custom window, which is created with the /window command. So, with scripting, you could quite easily do this.

/window @custom <- this creates the custom window (needs to start with @)

/aline @custom This is the text to add <- this adds text to that custom window

More custom window commands will come in the future, but this is a start.
The IceChat God

ADB

"Always on Top"
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 10:53:47 PM »
But IceChat custom windows can't be separated from the main IceChat MDI. I'm talking about something like, uh ... well, like this:

(this is just a mockup, of course -- the version I made didn't look nearly as good, and didn't have an input box because it's not possible to pass text to IceChat with an external program)

Hope that clears things up a bit. :)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
"Always on Top"
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 07:31:22 AM »
I knew exactly what you were talking about. The ability to pull them out, but the kind of custom window I am speaking of is new to IceChat. That ability will come eventually.

As for sending data to IceChat, it is very possible, with OLE.
The IceChat God

ADB

"Always on Top"
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 12:58:14 PM »
Oh. Okay, I guess I'm just being a moron :P