Author Topic: Nickname reverts back when changing away status  (Read 5323 times)

TreeGhost

Nickname reverts back when changing away status
« on: April 15, 2005, 01:23:41 PM »
I like to change my nickname when I go on away status.  If I change my nickname to XXX_away and then go on 'away' status, IceChat automatically changes my nickname back to my original nickname.

Is there some trick to doing this?

Also, while the chat screen indicates that I am on 'away' status, my user info states that I am not away.  This is rather confusing and problematic, it seems.

Thank you.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 02:44:34 PM »
In the server editor, you specify an away nickname, for each server. Then you can use the /away command, and it will change to that nickname automatically. Upon return, it will change back to your default nickname again.

As for your away status according to the server, IceChat does not use the server away command, it uses its own internal methods of maintaining the away status. If you wish to use the server away commands, you need to use /query AWAY command method.
The IceChat God

TreeGhost

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 02:58:18 PM »
OK, thanks, Snerf.  That helps a bunch.  

Just to make sure I understand...anytime I use the Toolbar Icon to set myself away, the user info will never indicate I am away.  In other words, a person doing a WhoIs on my nickname will think I am online based on the information given there, possibly, unless my nickname is obviously an away nickname, correct?

Thanks, again.    :)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »
Exactly.
The IceChat God