Author Topic: background color doesn't stay fixed  (Read 5139 times)

tin

background color doesn't stay fixed
« on: March 03, 2005, 01:16:59 AM »
using IceChat 5.50 Build

010905 on WinXP Professional

1) the text background color of existing text in a window doesn't adapt when I change

the channel background color. The text background keeps the color it had when posted. That's not a big problem, but would be

nice if it was fixed.

2) Every once in a while the background of the *existing* text in a window changes back to white

when I write something. Even though I change nothing in my configuration, the new line added to the window turns the existing

text background color back to white. I assume the change is triggered by the buffer of the window running full and the whole

window being repainted. For this repaint, it looks like the default text background color is used, instead of the currently

configured background color.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:23:50 PM »
Hello

1. Yes, when you change the background color of

the text, it does not change the current text, only new text thats shown afterwards, new text. Otherwise I would need to

re-do all the previous text, which is too CPU intensive.

2. Never seen this happen before, but then, I always use

white as my background color. What do you use for a background color? The text in the box does occasionally get "trimmed"

because of small memory issues, I have a hunch this is when it is happening.
The IceChat God

tin

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 01:17:29 AM »
Quote from: Snerf
Otherwise I would need to re-do all

the previous text, which is too CPU intensive.

Well, you only have to do it once, when the color

change is applied. And you do exactly that when you clip the buffer anyway, and I never noted performance problems with that.
But it's no big deal. :) I don't change the color often.

Never seen this happen before,

but then, I always use white as my background color. What do you use for a background

color?

grey.

The text in the box does occasionally get "trimmed"

because of small memory issues, I have a hunch this is when it is happening.

Yes, that sounds

likely. I have watched it happen twice again yesterday, and noted that the window content is clipped (old text discarded)

afterwards. Sounds like what you describe. Shouldn't be hard to fix the text color there, right?

p.s.: what do you

mean with "memory issues"? Does it leak memory? If not, I would much prefer to have icechat use lots of memory (linear to the

growing content) than lose window content. As I said, the clipping happens about once or twice a day, and it's very

impractical at the moment not to be able to check back on the discussions of the morning a few hours later. (I know, there's

a log, but it's much less convenient) I wouldn't mind it getting longer and longer, maybe with a configurable

maximum.

But I was wondering if you even fix 5.5 at all anymore - now that 7.0 with completely new gui is

coming...?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 08:26:36 AM »
I'll have a look through the text "clipping" code, and see

if I can improve it slightly, and see if it is at all possible to change the old text BG colors as well. I don't see the

changing of the BG colors to a new color really an issue, as before, I used to clear the boxes any time a BG color change

went into affect. So this seemed a quicker and easier way.

As for the memory issues, yes, there were memory leak

problems, and also some bad performance issues, this way fixed those problems, even if there are a few small

drawbacks.

As always, I need to tinker with a few things here and there, nothing is ever perfect, and some problems I

just don't run into often. I'll check through and see what I can do.

As for IceChat 5.5, yes, I do still work on it,

and yes, these fixes will be applied to it as well. I do have a beta version of 5.51 floating around, a few people do test

it. I am just waiting to see if there are any other major/minor issues with 5.50, before I release 5.51.

Thanks
The IceChat God

tin

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 08:41:19 AM »
Thanks a lot!

It's a real pleasure to get fast

developer feedback! It makes me love the tool even more than I already do.