Author Topic: * Socket Error: 10053  (Read 40167 times)

MklKvh

* Socket Error: 10053
« on: May 13, 2004, 10:42:13 AM »
With the final 5.2 I sometimes get an

Socket Error.

* Socket Error: 10053 : Connection is aborted due to timeout or other failure

I tried again the

last beta, no probs.

But sorry, I can not exactly say when it happens. Till now it only happend when a query is

open.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: * Socket Error: 10053
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 10:58:41 AM »
Quote from: MklKvh
With the

final 5.2 I sometimes get an Socket Error.

* Socket Error: 10053 : Connection is aborted due to timeout or other

failure

I tried again the last beta, no probs.

But sorry, I can not exactly say when it happens. Till now it

only happend when a query is open.

I am guessing this is happening when you are trying to connected

to a server.
Some times server's simply dont want to connect, these things happen, try again or try another server on

that network.
The IceChat God

MklKvh

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 11:20:37 AM »
No it happens after about hours after connecting to a

server.
That's why it's so difficult to reproduce the error. But it allways happens with an open query.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 12:56:59 PM »
Then try another server, and see if it still

happens.

In opening a query, I am assuming you mean sending private message to someone. Perhaps try doing something

else after a few hours, just sending a message, anything. Maybe it will time out as well.
There could be a large number of

reasons why you get disconnected, your computer goes into sleep mode, who knows.
The IceChat God

simira

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 05:13:12 AM »
It happens to me as well, regardless of if I'm having a query open or not. I use both freeNode, IRCNet and EFnet, and it happens to all of them (not necessarily at the same time). It disconnects after 30-50 mins. I'm using IceChat 5.50 on Windows XP SP2.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 07:47:54 AM »
Each of those Networks have a number of servers, try a different server and see what happens.

Also, try enabling Server lag for the servers, which sends out a command every 3 minutes to the server, sort of a keep alive.
You open the server editor for each server and select "Show Server Lag in Console" under startup options.
The IceChat God

simira

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 09:10:16 AM »
I have done all that as well.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 01:10:27 PM »
Well, then it could very welll be your firewall or router causing the problem, or something completely different.
Does this only happen with these networks, or any network at all, like Quakenet?

If you want you can give IceChat 7 Alpha try and see if it behaves any better.
The IceChat God

simira

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 01:27:58 PM »
It happens on all networks (I haven't tested _all_ though, just random). mIRC and xChat works just fine, and my router and firewall should do nothing to it. I've never experienced this problem with anything else. Seems to happen when I'm idle for a short while, and I do have Server lag enabled.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 09:49:19 PM »
Well, no idea then.
All I can suggest is giving IceChat 7 a shot, and see if the problem persists.
The IceChat God

Psieonic

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 09:19:47 AM »
Do as Snerf says. Trust me when I say that Ice7 is a LOT better. =)

ravenshad

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 02:14:46 PM »
responding to Snerf: I am guessing this is happening when you are trying to connected

to a server.
Some times server's simply dont want to connect, these things happen, try again or try another server on

that network.

My reply:
I was using mIRC and got that same error "10053 software caused connection abort". I was getting it no matter what server I used and it eventually got bad enough that I could not stay connected for more than a minute at a time. So I went to the mIRC web site to see what their help forum had to say about it. It seems that it is a conflict between the IRC programs and windows XP and windows 2000. It not only dumps you from the IRC server, but it can interrupt your ISP connection for a period of time that can vary from a few seconds, to a few hours. (my worst was 3 hours without an ISP connection after receiving that error). There is no real way to fix it that I can find for mIRC. So yesterday I downloaded and installed the Ice Chat IRC program to see if the issue was for mIRC only. I get the same error with Ice Chat, but so far it is nowhere as often as it was with mIRC, so far it has happened only once in 24 hours and it only disrupted my ISP connection for 4 minutes.

I've done some research for other IRC programs such as Visual IRC Azzura IRC, XDCC, etc. and they all get the same error for users with windows xp or windows 2000. So far I have not been able to find a solution to this issue.

Do you have any ideas?

Raven

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 02:28:46 PM »
It seems to happen more with some networks then others, so I cant see the client to blame, but the servers.
I can stay connected to Quakenet and Undernet for days/weeks and not have problems, and then one day, it kicks me off 4-5 times with 10053 errors.
Its just one of those little things we have to live with.
The IceChat God

Yugi

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 08:34:33 AM »
Here is the meaning for error 10053:
WSAECONNABORTED (10053)
Translation: Software caused connection abort.
Description: An established connection was stopped by the software in your host computer, possibly because of a data transmission time-out or protocol error.

and here is the link for the meaning of the different errors: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819124

Yes, Snerf is right, most errors happen because of timeouts either server time outs, software ones or hardware.
if you have a firewall try adding icechat with full access to the internet. :wink:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 08:40:49 AM by Yugi »
IceChat - Cool to the core!