Author Topic: Simply magnificent  (Read 4400 times)

Ruroni

Simply magnificent
« on: April 06, 2004, 12:40:22 AM »
I just Download and installed IceChat

(v5.11) today, for the first time. I just love it. It's great, it looks and feels nice. It works smoothly. I have used

mostly mIRC, I tried a few other IRC clients (in other OS's as well) to include PIRCH, BitchX, Xchat, Ircle among several

others.

This is simply the nicest looking and feeling one by far. It's very intuitive. IceChat functions the way I

have wished IC clients would work.

I only have 2 complaints
1) Is sometimes, when I try to join a channel I get a

message in the console that reads:
Attempting to join #p[]  (irc.enterthegame.com)
Nothing else shows up, it doesn't

give me a reason why I can't join the channel.
2) It can be a little difficult to tell what server's channel I'm in

given a different server. For instance lets say I am in #channel1 on irc.enterthegame.com and in #channel2 on

irc.quakenet.org I can't tell which server the room that I'm currently in belongs to, because channel1 and channel2 appear

next to each other on the console bar.

Granted I can eventually figure out, so it's no big deal. I

LOVE the fact that it doesn't keep the settings for one server and drag it over to the another

server. Like say I have some favorite channels set to autojoin in server1 and then I join server2, i don't necessarily join

those channel (which usually don't exist) in server2. That really irked me about mIRC; I would be joining channels that

don't even exist on some servers, then the top would be all cluttered with channels that aren't there.

The default

settings are pretty close to What I want to set my preferences to, when I'm dealing with other IRC clients. And editing a

few of the settings I do wish to modify is very intuitive and so ar has worked more reliably than any other IRC client I have

used before.

I'm sorry I'm not being more precise and thorough, but I'm probably kind of tire at this time and my

brain is working slowly; but the short and sweet is that IceChat is MAGNIFICENT. I love it; It shall be my default browser

from here on in.  I look forward to learning more about its intricacies.

EDIT: While playing with the colors, I

couldn't find the "default" button which returns all the colors back to their default settings.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Simply magnificent
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 09:06:08 AM »
Thanks very much.

Version 5.20 is currently in the

works, so a few small problems found in 5.11 or back, should be fixed.

1. The "attempting to join" problem can be a

bit odd. but in your example it shows #p[] for a channel, is that the actual channel name?

2. As for the channel(s) on

different servers, I do believe that the channel captions that show the #channel , # of users, modes, etc, also shows the

Network/Server you are on. Also, if you hover over the channel bar and wait for a tooltip, it should say #channel on

such.and.such.a.server.

A Set Colors back to Default option has been added to the latest version as well.
The IceChat God

Ruroni

Simply magnificent
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 09:14:59 AM »
Yes #p[] @ ETG is pandora's box clan channel.  Also, it did

show up on channel list, and when I double clicked on it from the list it still said attempting to join #p[] And it wouldn't

go anywhere or give me any error message, as to why it wasn't joining.

Again let me commend you on what a magnificent

job you've done with this IRC client. I'm surprised it was such a small team that put this together, and yet it's so

thorough, so well thoughtout.

EDIT:  It's not consisten though. I just tried again and this time I successfully

joined the channel...  I guess I'll have to look a little further into how to duplicate the error.

IRBMe

Simply magnificent
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 08:46:13 AM »
Thats just because snerf and I make a great team  :wink:
Icechat - how cool can you GET?

Chain

Simply magnificent
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 12:35:56 PM »
I agree with Ruroni this was thought out very

well, and it's easy to use being a first timer on Irc  :lol: I have also added IceChat to my website, so people can take a

gander and downlad the IceChat and see what an excellent job it is. I love the fact that you can use emoticons and see them,

it's quite awsome and keep up the great work!!