Author Topic: High DPI Displays support and a few other wishes.  (Read 1753 times)

Eli

High DPI Displays support and a few other wishes.
« on: October 18, 2015, 12:36:09 PM »
Hey everyone,

I just found IceChat 9 and I'm really loving it, however due to using a 4K Monitor the program looks blurry and this takes down from the experience a lot, I tried the work around of running Windows 10 Compatibility mode where I can prevent the program from using scaling but then some things look really weird and some areas of the GUI become inaccessible or extremely small and hard to read and click on etc, so I wonder if there's any planned support for 4K and very high resolution displays.

I wish there was a way to prevent the splash screen from showing when I launch the program, it makes it look so 90s lol.

It would be nice if IceChat had some sort of Lag Meter like the one HexChat and XChat have above the OPs panel on the people's list.

I also wish the console or server window would preserve formatting of the server's /MOTD, currently MOTDs look messy, other than that, this is a solid IRC Client, looking forward to use it for years to come.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:51:27 PM by Eli »

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: High DPI Displays support and a few other wishes.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:00:56 PM »
Could you provide a screen shot of the bluriness?

This would be very difficult to fix, since one would need a 4K monitor to test, so that would require a lot of back and forth.

The MOTD's are displayed as they are sent, so no idea about that.
Could just be a font issue, and other clients use different fonts. Changing to a Monospace type font will probably fix that for you.

As for the other options/changes, I will make a note of them.

Thank you
The IceChat God

Eli

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
Hey Snerf,

Thanks for taking into consideration my suggestions, I really appreciate that, as for the blurriness I'll do my best to show you, so here it goes:

With scaling everything looks as it should but blurry (Sorry about the huge graphics, but that's the only way I guess for you to see how the real thing looks):

http://www.chatfirst.com/icechat/IceChat-WithScaling.png

With no scaling the blurriness goes away, but then some elements such as the "Send" panel and the "Channel Topic" are cut off and don't display properly as seen below, also with no scaling areas such as settings and server options are also cut off or don't display :

http://www.chatfirst.com/icechat/NoScaling.png

Also when there's no scaling some fonts inside the elements look really tiny making hard to work with, ie: the OPs panel and the Server options, as seen in the following screenshot:

http://www.chatfirst.com/icechat/NoScalingSmallFontsInSomeAreas.png

If you need me I can give you remote access to my PC so you can see in person if need be, also willing to test whatever you need me to test.

Again, thanks a lot for replying.

-Eli
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:36:11 PM by Eli »

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »
Ok, so from the looks of it, the "No Scaling" fixes most of the issues you have.

How do you go about Scaling?  Do you need a 4k monitor to do this?
I need a way to duplicate the issues, but w/o a 4k monitor.

Thanks
The IceChat God