Author Topic: How to do two things at once!!  (Read 3947 times)

graviton37

How to do two things at once!!
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »
Hi!  Here's my problem: When receiving a file, as you well know, a light gray screen covers the entirety of the chat area, seemingly making it impossible to enter further remarks on the chat page.  I tried to enter a new remark while the gray screen was present and, eventually (when I had received the file and could close the gray screen) I saw that my new comment had not been posted.

So, can a user modify the size of the gray screen so that it covers only a portion of the chat area so the user can continue chatting while a file is being received? Or can the user temporarily make the gray screen disappear so he can view and use the chat area while receiving the file?  Or, if the gray screen must remain exactly as it is at all times, is there any way to at least make further entries into the chat area while it is present?

Note: I see some options at the bottom, like "Explore", but I'm afraid to click on anything while a file is being received for fear of aborting the process.

graviton37

Re: How to do two things at once!!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:00:45 PM »
This is the poster, graviton37.  I just noticed that the Explore, etc. options only appear after the file has been received, so neither can possibly be used for the purpose of continuing to chat while receiving a file.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:28:01 PM »
Are you talking about when a DCC file is being sent to you, and it is asking where you want to place it?
Or when it is downloading?
The IceChat God

graviton37

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »
Hello, Snerf, delighted to be speaking to The Creator!  I'm talking about chatting while the file is downloading.  Some of the files I download are very large and usually the transmission speed is quite slow, so that a huge amount of time is consumed. Therefore, clearly, I want to be able to use the chat area while downloading.  Now, if the gray screen is unalterable-- cannot be reduced in size or temporarily removed--if a user could at least somehow continue to post comments I see how I could work around the black-out (or gray-out) of the chat area by simply opening a second Ice Chat and viewing the chat area of that one while making my posts on the first.  For complicated reasons it wouldn't be considered ethical or appropriate for me to make posts on the second under a different name, even if it's an obvious variant of the original.

I know that it is theoretically possible to continue to view a chat area and make posts, etc. while downloading a file, but I just don't know if Ice Chat has that capability.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
I just don't know about what grey area you are talking about.
The DCC Files window is in its own window, so you just switch back to your channel and continue to chat.
So yes, IceChat is fully capable of doing what you ask.

Can you provide a screen shot of this grey area you speak of?
And what version of windows are you using, thanks.
The IceChat God

graviton37

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:19 AM »
Hi Snerf, I was concerned that if I switched out of the Download mode screen while I was receiving the file by clicking on the channel designation (or clicking on anything else, for that matter) the download might be suspended while I was in another configuration or might be aborted entirely--I've had that experience with another more primitive Client. 

What I was referring to by the term "light gray screen" was what completely covers the chat area when receiving a file in IceChat 7.

Anyway, now that I know you can make that switch with impunity, the problem is happily resolved. 

Oh, one other thing: Can a user receive two or more files simultaneously with IceChat?   Or would the second (and third) files stack up in a holding pattern, like planes waiting to land at a very busy airport, and only be transmitted serially, not simultaneously?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 09:45:03 AM »
I guess you mean the "grey" area of just hat the download window is, the DCC Files tab.
Yes, you can do multiples.
But it is recommended not to 'remove' any of them, until they have all finished downloading.
The IceChat God

graviton37

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
Thanks for all the assistance, Snerf, and for IceChat itself!

You say it is recommended not to remove any of the multiples until all have finished downloading--I assume that I can open the download but just not transfer it to my permanent storage location until all have finished, correct?  Is that because I may inadvertently attempt to transfer a file that has not actually completed its download and thereby abort the download?  What does the "gray area" look like when multiple downloads are occurring simultaneously? With two downloads-- Is it bifurcated, so that the left half of the screen is describing one and the right half the other?  But what if you have ten downloads occurring simultaneously--it doesn't seem practical to divide the screen into tenths, although I could easily be mistaken.  Is the reason you say not to try to remove any of the multiples before the entire process is over is that there's no way to be sure which downloads have finished?  I'm just curious--What is the configuration of the download screen when ten files are being simultaneously downloaded?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »
You will just see a list of downloads.
So line 1 for each download.
The IceChat God

graviton37

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
Thanks, Snerf for clarifying the appearance of simultaneous downloads.  Given your description, it should be clear to the user which files have finished downloading and which haven't.  Therefore, why are you limited in what you can do with the files that have finished downloading, why must you wait until all have completed the downloading process?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 01:24:57 PM »
Because some users remove the wrong download, and BLIP, mistakes are made.
It is not because you have to, it is just recommended
The IceChat God

graviton37

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 01:55:44 PM »
Oh, okay, I see--it's just a precaution.  Thanks for the responses Snerf.  The software you've created has a much-appreciated (by me) ability to swiftly and reliably connect with networks--while other clients struggle helplessly, groping desperately in the dark to connect, a user is already comfortably ensconced on the network of his choice with IceChat.  I raise a glass of the best Chardonnay, and toast you for that, sir!!!