Author Topic: Autoupdater always fails with "unhandled exception"  (Read 1754 times)

Hugga

Autoupdater always fails with "unhandled exception"
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »
Hi

I thought I would post this even though I figured I would know the answer.  I figured it would be fixed over time but I see no other mentions of it in the forums.

Ever since IceChat 9, Autopudater has never worked for me.  It prompts me if I would like to update, but clicking yes always ends in the famous "Unhandled Exception" message.  This time it is "Access to path c:\program files (x86)\IceChat9\IcechatUpdater.exe is denied"

I use Windows 7 64bit. Obviously it is a permissions problem, but I shouldnt need to run IceChat as administrator to update.  I would expect the UAC should pop up and prompt me if it is OK to run as administrator (i'd say it was unusual to need to have admin rights for a basic update anyway).

In the meantime I just download the update from the web site and install, but I thought I would mention it ...

Code: [Select]
************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IceChat9\IceChatUpdater.exe' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
   at IceChat.FormMain.toolStripUpdate_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Autoupdater always fails with "unhandled exception"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »
Yes, we are aware of some of the issues with the updater.

We do hope that it is working properly in the latest build (RC 6.5) so when the next update is released, would be nice to know if the problem has been resolved or not.

Thanks
The IceChat God

Hugga

Re: Autoupdater always fails with "unhandled exception"
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »
Great stuff, thanks.  I'll update manually to RC6.5 and report back any further problems.