Author Topic: URL copying and self nick highlighting  (Read 5264 times)

Anupam

URL copying and self nick highlighting
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:23:39 AM »
Would like to see two features.

One is of URL copying. Currently, there is no feature to copy the URL which is posted in the channel. Right clicking on the URL gives the option of Channel Info via Information.

Clicking on the URL opens it via the default browser, but I do not want that since default browser on my PC is IE. I want to be able to copy the URL and open it in Firefox. So, providing a feature to copy the URL via right-click will be good :). I know link can be copied by selecting the URL with mouse, but it's a bit cumbersome, and I also found IceChat to be quite sensitive in this respect... even a little movement causes it to open the URL with IE.

Second feature that I wish for is the highlighting of the sentence in a different color when my nick is mentioned in the channel. That would make it easier for me to notice it.

Patrik356b

• A mystic person following a mystic path...
Re: URL copying and self nick highlighting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
For the second thing, See Options -> Color Settings and edit the "Self Messages" settings under 'Messages'

I use the Advanced and have for example:
'Self Channel Message' set to:
Code: [Select]
14<$color$nick14>0 $messageAnd 'Self Channel Action' set to:
4* $nick $message
Results:
<&Patrik356b> Message... (The '<' '>' chars are grey)
* Patrik35b is doing something
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are excellent

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
Use the Highlighter to add a color highlight for your nickname.
You can use "$me" for a highlight to match your current nickname.

As for selecting text, there are issues with it at the moment. It is an ongoing issue, that I just can't sem to get working right. It mainly has to do with how the text is rendered in the textbox, and 'measuring' what you are actually selecting. I wish it worked as well as it did in Ice7, but the code is just so different.

But for opening a browser, why would you set IE as the default browser, if you use FireFox? Change your default browser to Firefox, problem solved. I could add an option to right click it, but that seems kind of pointless, imo.
The IceChat God

Anupam

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »
Thanks Patrik356b and Snerf :).

Will try the highlight option. I had seen that, but could not figure out what value to put in there to get the sentence containing the nick highlighted.

I understand about the text selection.

Well, I keep IE as the default coz its settings are used for Windows updates, that's why.. lol.

Anyways, if the URL thing is trouble, no problem, you can deal with it later  :-P

Anupam

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »
Use the Highlighter to add a color highlight for your nickname.
You can use "$me" for a highlight to match your current nickname.

That didn't work snerf. I added $me to highlite box. But, the color for it does not save. It remains white, and so the highlight thing does not work. I tried many times, selecting $me in the box, then selecting the color... clicking Apply, then Save. Does not work.... I check it, and it gets back to white again.

Anupam

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
OK, it worked sorry. I was doing the wrong way.

I went to Edit, and then selected the color, and saved. It stuck then, and works as desired. Now it highlights the sentence when my nick is said in the room. Awesome!

Thanks Snerf :).

Anupam

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »
For the second thing, See Options -> Color Settings and edit the "Self Messages" settings under 'Messages'

I use the Advanced and have for example:
'Self Channel Message' set to:
14<$color$nick14>0 $messageAnd 'Self Channel Action' set to:
4* $nick $message

This was not what I wanted Patrik. I wanted the whole sentence to be highlighted when my nick was called by someone else. What Snerf told did the job.

Whereas what you told, will highlight the action sentences, or the sentences posted by us, which is not what I was looking for. Anyways, what you told is great too, and is quite cool.. am using it :)