Author Topic: A few bugs in IceChat  (Read 4385 times)

Anupam

A few bugs in IceChat
« on: March 30, 2013, 08:42:40 AM »
Hi :)

I have used IceChat in the past... version 5 and 7, when I used to chat a lot on the ICQ IRC network. I have found IceChat to be a good IRC client, having capabilities of being a great one.

I have noticed that IceChat 9 has been in development since long, and have been pleased to see that it's nearing its final release. I decided to try out IceChat 9 recently. It's amazing that such a good software has been developed in such a small size.

I am posting this thread to report a few bugs that I have noticed in IceChat, and they have been there since the earlier versions. I am surprised that no one has reported about these bugs till now, and I was really surprised to see these being carried over in IceChat 9.

I hope that by reporting now, these bugs will be removed. I have used the previous versions of IceChat on Windows XP, and now I am using Windows 8.

1] The first bug is that when I scroll down the channel userlist on the right, and click on a nick to private it... when I return back to the userlist, it always scrolls up to the top. It's quite annoying, and also affects the efficiency, because to private multiple nicks, everytime I have to scroll up or down, to find the spot where I was last at. Would be great if this was fixed. The userlist should remain in the same last spot where I last clicked on a nick.

2] I have noticed that often when "/me" is used by chatters in the channels, the last alphabet is often cut out, no matter how long the sentence is. "/me" works fine in the private messages.. but not in the channels. Sometimes, it works fine, but its rare, and more often than not, the bug is there.

3] When I move away from the channel, the demarcating line appears fine when I return back to the channel, which is great to see the conversation and track it, where I last left it. However, in case I accidentally click on the channel, which happens often, the line immediately gets to the bottom, and starts after the point I clicked. That should not happen. The demarcating line should remain in the same position as before until I move away from the channel again.

I am not sure if the third bug was there in the previous versions... but I am pretty sure that the first two bugs have been in IceChat since earlier versions, and have been carried on in the current versions too. Would be excellent if these are fixed, and it would make IceChat an excellent client.

Also, I have observed that the multiple theme choices are great, but in some themes, it's often difficult to read certain text. So, hope this is kept in mind while making the themes that all texts should be readable, and not obscured by the colors. Although the colors can be changed via the Settings, still, the default colors should not make texts unreadable.

Thanks for letting me post. Keep up the great work!

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: A few bugs in IceChat
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 01:23:38 PM »
Thank you with the bug report

With the /me problem, are you noticing this on a particular network, or all of them.
This is because I have never seen this problem, so it very well could just be on a specific network/server.

As for the other bugs, will certainly have a look at them, and look for a fix.

Thanks
The IceChat God

Anupam

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply :).

Well, I mostly chat on Icq, so wouldn't know about other networks. Can that happen.. I mean problem with only one network? Strange.

Know of any other good IRC chat networks, like ICQ? ICQ has the best rooms and people IMO, although I don't know about other networks, and haven't chat anywhere else much.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
There are plenty of other networks.
I don't frequent on many myself.

But yes, it could very well be a "bug" in the ircd software for ICQ. I will check it out for myself.
IceChat follows the IRC RFC standard very strictly, so it a particular ircd software 'breaks' that standard, it could appear as a bug in IceChat.
The IceChat God

Anupam

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:40:37 AM »
Oh OK, thanks for the reply.

I will try to check out on other networks, and post back.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
So, with the /me "bug" it may be an ICQ client that is causing it.
The IceChat God

Anupam

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »
Oh darn, silly me... I should have posted this before itself, but didn't get it that time.

The "/me" bug I have noticed with IceChat only. I have used other IRC clients like Kvirc, HydraIrc, etc, and they didn't have this problem while chatting on ICQ. So, it's definitely specific to IceChat.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
I went on icq's server, and I did not see any problems with the /me command.

So I will need more specifics.
The IceChat God

Anupam

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:28:16 AM »
OK, I will try to save logs and then send to you. Will that do?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »
Well, I need to be able to see it for myself, to be able to fix it. I want to know what it is doing differently.

My guess is, a proper CTCP action is not being sent, perhaps dropping the last character of the message, which is supposed to be a (char)1 , which IceChat drops, because this is how the RFC states it is to be.
If that character is not a (char)1, IceChat drops it regardless, making it look like its deleted the last letter.
So , again, this is why IceChat adheres to the RFC strictly. My guess is, the ICQ client is the problem here, not adding the lst CTCP character.
So , in essence, it is not really BUG in IceChat, but in the other client. It is just that other IRC clients may have just adjusted their code, breaking the RFC standard, to fix the solution.
The IceChat God

Anupam

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »
I don't know much about the technicality, but it sounds like what you write might be the case here.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »
Yes, so I have been trying to duplicate it, but no results as of yet.

I am also working on the marker line issue, and making some adjustments.

And the userlist should now return to the top highlighted item, when showing a channel.

These changes will all be in RC7 once I get a few other big fixes, and that /me issue resolved with ICQ.
The IceChat God

Anupam

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
Thanks for the update :) ... great to know you are working on them.

About the userlist, top highlighted item means? The userlist should remain at the same position as its left, when clicked on a username in the list, and when returned to the channel again. I hope I am able to explain it nice enough. And if you meant that only, then apologies  :-D

Keep up the good work :) .. thanks for the quick replies.

Anupam

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 04:03:49 AM »
OK, I closely observed the behavior of /me on ICQ again, and I found some strange things.

There is no problem with the use of /me in the private messages. It works fine there.

The problem occurs on the main ICQ channels. There too, it's kind of random. Sometimes, it works correctly, and sometimes, it does not. Yesterday, I observed and noted that in some cases, the last letter was missing, and in some, it was fine. I noted that the length of the sentence has nothing to do with it. Last letter was missed for shorter and longer sentences both.

Most other times, I have observed that the error occurred quite frequently.

It's really strange.

I tried to check it out on other networks, like freenode, and quakenet, which are by default on IceChat, but I was not able to do so, because these networks do not have any general channels, and so people do not use /me much.. in fact, the channels I went to have very little activities.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
I found out it is a problem with the ICQ client.
So I will make a fix to the code to check for this.
Funny how I have to add fixed to IceChat for other clients problems, it shouldn't be that way.
The IceChat God