Author Topic: Message in chat Window  (Read 2312 times)

flinty

Message in chat Window
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
Sorry about the title, but couldnít think what else to call this & Iím still not sure what it is or if itís even a bug/problem.

Every now & then over the last few days me & a couple of other Icechat users on our channel have got this

[13:10] [Xnight] VERSION

There isnít anyone in the channel called Xnight and for that matter all other nicks show up like this

[13:10] <flinty>

Any ideas what it could be or what is causing it?

Morio

• Global Moderator
Re: Message in chat Window
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
someone has used a ctcp command to ask your client for the version information. The person doesn't have to be on the same channel as you to do that.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

flinty

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
Mario

since I'm a complete Newbie on this stuff, whats the purpose of it. why would someone want the version number of my client, is what I'm really after, basically what use is the info?

I've been having a read on some Web sites about Client to Client protocols, but its not making any sense right now. :?

thnks

flinty

Morio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »
again I seem to have drifted into a parallel universe where there seems to be no difference between the letters o and a.

Anyway, someone just wants to know what client you are using.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

flinty

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 01:16:49 AM »
Morio

Sorry, that will teach me to post when I'm tired out & not seeing straight

Thanks for the reply though, really appreciate it.

flinty