Author Topic: Alpha 8 and Beyond  (Read 4560 times)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Alpha 8 and Beyond
« on: December 29, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »
Alpha 8 is coming along great. I have managed to add emoticons, as well as UTF8 support.

We are nearing the end of 2009 now, and 2010 is right around the corner.

Will this mean that IceChat 2009 will be renamed to IceChat 2010. Well, this is something I have been pondering over.

1. I can give it a new name. (IceChat 2010)
2. I can simply call it IceChat, and give it a new version (9.0?)
3. I can stick with IceChat 2009, and decide again when its closer to actually being released.
4. Call it PickleChat
The IceChat God

Windows_95

• Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!
Re: Alpha 8 and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:03:10 AM »
You could rename it Snerf Chat or Windows 95 wait no i think that one's taken lol

but on a serious note i kinda like the version 9.0 idea
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. Galileo Galilei

Morio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »
I'll address each alternative separately

1. Renaming it 2010 might add pressure to give out a final release during the year 2010. Both a good and a bad thing
2. You already made a version 9.0 (although, I think I'm one of the few people using it xD, anyway, it was made, but never got past the beta stage)
3. This is a pretty much the easiest alternative. You can always change the name when it's time to give out a final release.
4. You could use PicleChat as a codename until the final version is realeased.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

ElementAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 11:41:51 PM »
1. Renaming it 2010 might add pressure to give out a final release during the year 2010. Both a good and a bad thing
True.  I think with the progress that already happened we can at least expect to be RC before then.  If not something went terribly. :P
2. You already made a version 9.0 (although, I think I'm one of the few people using it xD, anyway, it was made, but never got past the beta stage)
Yeah, but that one was largely an updated Ice7.  It can probably pass.
3. This is a pretty much the easiest alternative. You can always change the name when it's time to give out a final release.
And least confusing.
4. You could use PicleChat as a codename until the final version is realeased.
Yeah... was that one a joke? XD

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
So I have decided that internally, it will be version 9.

I will probably just end up calling it IceChat when all is said and done, and drop the year. But for the time being, for Alpha's I will call it IceChat 2009.
The IceChat God

Patrik356b

• A mystic person following a mystic path...
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »
Is the x64 nickname actions list fixed in this version?

In IceChat 7 you get nothing when you right-click on a user if your using a 64bit OS
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are excellent

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
Well, the problem with nothing coming up is not because it is a 64bit OS, it is because of Windows 7.

On Windows 7 when IceChat is initially run, it comes up with a Picture Error. This is because it does not allow the FirstRun program to properly run. So you need to manually run the FirstRun program (located in the Program Files\IceChat folder).

The FirstRun program is responsible for adding in the popups, the default server list and the default aliases, and some other default settings (color themes, etc).

This is why the the popupmenu for the nick list is empty, and all the other popups, and there were no default servers added into the Favorite Server list.

Running the program will add all those in, but will also reset all your settings.
The IceChat God

Patrik356b

• A mystic person following a mystic path...
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »
Odd, I get same results on XP 64Bit
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are excellent

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
Again, it is because FirstRun was not run. It is not an issue with 64bit OS, it is because FirstRun was not executed when IceChat was 1st ran after install.
The IceChat God