Author Topic: Novice question  (Read 2592 times)

Psych

Novice question
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »
Hello all,

I am a psychology graduate student looking to do an experiment that would make use of IceChat. In specific, my hope is to use your client to facilitate communication between the experimenter at the participant. However - and this is the source of my question - I am also looking at including some scripting in the experiment. To be exact, I am hoping to use bots to fake a conversation between an alleged second experimenter and second participant. Here is a brief rundown of what I am aiming for.

1: Actual experimenter signals, using some text string, the bot to respond - after some time delay, ostensibly due to typing - with a text string from a script.
2: This text string from the first bot would trigger a second text string from the second bot, once again after some time delay.
3: This back and forth would continue until the entire 'conversation' is played out.

My question two-fold: First, does this sound feasible and, second, is IceChat a good medium through which to make this happen? I have low scripting knowledge and experience, but able to learn. I'm hoping to keep this somewhat simple.

Thank you for your time and help on this matter.

-Kyle

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Novice question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:35:23 PM »
Yes, you can make a sort of AI bot with IceChat. It would just be a large amount of text evaluating.
The IceChat God

ElementAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 01:23:43 PM »
Additionally, VBScript is relatively easy to pick up on.

Atreus

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »
Additionally, I would really like to see this.

Psych

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It wouldn't need to be an AI bot, I just need the two bots to say specific lines back and forth following a scripted (predetermined) conversation. I will look into VBScript, thank you.