Author Topic: Connection Problem  (Read 6196 times)

mcporche

Connection Problem
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:50:43 PM »
I am having problems connecting to any server.  Everything was working fine until about two weeks ago, then I couldn't connect at all.

When I try to connect, it will either hang right after "Received IdentD Response," or when I tried connecting to the quakenet server, it seems to log in fine.  However, it gets to "trying to join #icechat" and nothing happens.  I can't /list or /join.

I brought my computer to New Orleans with me last weekend, and it worked fine at the hotel.  So, it's obviously something on my end.  I checked with my ISP and they said that they don't block IRC programs.

I turned off my firewall, and even went so far as to completely uninstall Norton Internet Security (I didn't think that had anything to do with it, but I wanted to be sure).  It still won't connect.

On my router, I have ports 53,80,113, and 6667 forwarded.

Any suggestions?  I'm actually about to buy a new cable modem, so I'm hoping it might be that simple, but any other advice would be helpful.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Connection Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »
Ident only requires you to forward port 113, all those other ports are not necessary. Forwarding other ports is a bad idea.

If you can connect to a server, then IRC is obviously not being blocked.

Check the console for error messages and such. If it has connected to a server, open the debug window and see if you see any messages coming though.
The IceChat God

mcporche

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 09:21:28 AM »
Ok...I stopped forwarding the extra ports, and I checked the console window and debug window.  I dont' get any error messages.  I just hangs after "received IDENTD response."

1-:NICK CajunGuy
1-:USER avionictek2002 "localhost" "dallas.tx.us.sexnet.org" :The Chat cool people use
1=:dallas.tx.us.sexnet.org NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname...
1=:dallas.tx.us.sexnet.org NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking ident...
1=:dallas.tx.us.sexnet.org NOTICE AUTH :*** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead
1=:dallas.tx.us.sexnet.org NOTICE AUTH :*** Received identd response

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 10:04:49 AM »
Well, if that is all you are receiving, it is a problem just connecting to that network.
Contact the admins of that network and ask them what the problem is. Tell them where it hangs and see if they can help you.
The IceChat God

mcporche

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
I get that with every network I try to connect to.  The only one that goes any farther is quakenet.

With quakenet, I get as far as "trying to join #icechat" and nothing ever happens.

Here's where it stops...

[12:41] -stockholm.se.quakenet.org- There are 32 users and 104195 invisible on 42 servers
[12:41] -stockholm.se.quakenet.org- 77 operator(s) online
[12:41] -stockholm.se.quakenet.org- 23 unknown connection(s)
[12:41] -stockholm.se.quakenet.org- 81120 channels formed
[12:41] -stockholm.se.quakenet.org- I have 10352 clients and 1 servers
[12:41] --stockholm.se.quakenet.org-- Highest connection count: 13949 (13948 clients)
[12:41] ->> Attempting to join #icechat
[12:41] --stockholm.se.quakenet.org-- on 1 ca 2(4) ft 20(20) tr
[12:41] ->> Your mode is now +i
[12:41] ->> Your mode is now +i

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »
Well, all I can suggest is UN-install IceChat, remove all your settings, and then re-install it.

Something on your system changed 2 weeks ago, which causes IceChat to break.
The IceChat God