Author Topic: My Wish List/A Few Points  (Read 7681 times)

KingWilliam

My Wish List/A Few Points
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »
IceChat is awesome, but some things it's lacking, or could use.
 - Built In Spell Check
 - Built in Option for auto rejoin (this is a standard option for many clients, right now you have to have it set in a script, which is what I do)
 - More Options! Be able to add icons next to peoples name based on their rank (founder-OP-voice-etc) or if they're a buddy. As well to be able to have more control over the layout.
 - Font Assistance-Right now it's a pain in the PIE (caught myself there...) to change fonts for everything. Perhaps have a preview of any changes before you hit save or apply.
 - I hear you are able to change smiles, but I don't know how, and anyone just installing IceChat wouldn't know how either, and it may turn them away from using it. Perhaps add an upload button, or place to put a link to a picture when certain text is written ie: ":)"
 - In the color options, unless you've used IceChat before, it's hard to know what is what, so when you try to edit the colors, it can be a bit confusing. Same with fonts, could we have a preview screen?
 - I don't exactly remember how it looked before, I changed the layout/colors and everything, but it's pretty darn ugly. I think the default should be blue/ice themed. Don't scare away potential IceChat users before they have a chance to use it.
 - This is not the point of an IRC client, but to make it better then other clients (since I tend to build loyalty to any product I like :P ) some games should be added. Nothing crazy, or too complex, don't go over bored, but if you added tic-tac-toe as an option in queries, that would be pretty neat. Then if you add one... more would be requested, and you could even add the option to have chat rooms with the games. Perhaps that's more like bots, but just build it into IceChat. Just something extra, to get people to use IceChat (since if you don't use mIRC some people yell at you :P ).
 - I know I've seen this requested somewhere, but a timer to track your time in IceChat etc.

Decided that since Christmas is around the corner I'd write myself a wish list for IceChat. Just some things I'll stop and thing "wouldn't it be great if...". The one I'd like most is the spellcheck, and the one that's perhaps the least likely to be added is the games, one, I didn't explain that all too well, but you're not paying me for my response so that's what you get :P

"KingWilliam" - Guy who loves IceChat

KingWilliam

Re: My Wish List/A Few Points
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
I read few a couple other topics, and I liked someone else's idea, so I'm going to expand upon it.

Be able to install plug-in's/add-on's. For a media player, or the games idea. That might be easier to do, and only people that wanted it would get it.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 05:57:31 PM »
This Wishlist should have gone into the IceChat 9 forum, so I have moved it.

I find that a spell checker is just a big nuisance, as IRC is just a place where ppl type things in short/wrong all the time. It would be best to just write a script and handle it yourself. But then you will also see how much lag a spell checker will cause as well, another reason why IceChat does not have one.

I am taking by the auto-rejoin, you mean when you are kicked. That is something that has to be done with scripting, and will not become an actual IceChat option.

More Options?  Good grief, ppl complain IceChat has too many options already. :)
I find that adding little icons next to display for ops, etc, just cluttered it up (IceChat 5 had this).
Having the ability to change the colors for each was felt to be much more useful. But, I will see what I can do about re-adding the ability to add icons again, but it will not remove the @+, etc signs from the nickslist.

You had not given any specifics about more control over the layout, so no comment on that.

Not sure what the difficulty is with choosing fonts. You select which category you need to change, and then pick the font/size you wish to use.

If you want to change/add/edit emoticons, just check the forums here, there is a post on it.

I have been thinking of re-doing the Main color selection screen, just have to come up with some ideas for that still.

There will always be an opinion on what the default color settings/theme for IceChat is, no sense getting into any kind of a debate over that.

As for adding default scripts and such into IceChat, I will always shy away from that. What one person considers useful, another does not. Most games are bot based, and those should be run by bots. If you want to write some scripts for basic games, feel free, and upload your code to the Scripts section in these Forums. If it is good, I will add it as a standard download in IceChat Script downloads.

There is an online timer for each server, $online is the identifier for that. There are a huge number $identifiers in IceChat , just check out the help section.

As for addons/plugins, that is what the Script Engine is for.

Thanks
The IceChat God

Schpook

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:35:48 AM »
I think utf-8 support would be excellent.  Folks posting eastern european, accented  or other funny characters could be read.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »
Sorry, UTF-8 just is not possible.
The IceChat God

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »
Good thing though, IceChat 2009 should have UTF-8 Support.
The IceChat God

floydian

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »
Hey folks, here's my two cents on the state of IceChat and where it should go.

I've referred a lot of folks to the program, most of whom started out using java applets to connect to irc. Many of those folks have tried other IRC programs and weren't "technical" enough to be able to use them. And that's where IceChat really shines. People that would never drill down into a set of configuration settings that are nested four levels deep, and that span multiple windows and dialogues are able to get started using IceChat very easily.

As a person that is involved in browser game development, I can tell you that giving the players an easy way to connect with each other is invaluable. Whilst I normally offer a java applet for the folks that don't get into IRC much, I always recommend IceChat as the easiest to use standalone IRC client.

That's what makes IceChat so good for people new to IRC. I like it for my personal use because it does pretty much everything I want, and it does it in a way that is intuitive and doesn't require googling for an hour to figure out how other people do it.

UTF-8 is a great addition. I rarely find the need for it, but being internationally friendly is a great thing.

About the only thing I can really offer as a suggestion is to keep improving the ease of use and new user friendliness. For instance, a lot of folks aren't sure about how to connect to an IRC server the first time. I would assume that new users should be "corralled" into listing the IRC server they will be connecting to in their favorites.

This currently isn't the most intuitive course of action because the "Add New" button is just one of eight buttons in a group of buttons. What if there was a "Quick Connect" button, highlighted or otherwise made to catch the attention of new users that would function as a glorified /server xxxxx command. Once the form is submitted, the user should be offered the option of saving the server in their favorites (with the option of "do not show again" as well) so that it's easy for them to come back next time.

Cheers

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »
Yes, a Quick Connect button would be beneficial.

Thanks for the suggestion.
The IceChat God