Author Topic: Frequent crashes  (Read 3189 times)

Xenith

Frequent crashes
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »

I just installed IceChat today but it keeps crashing on me. Every couples minutes and usually when I'm not actively doing anything (i.e. I'll be out of the room or looking for an icon on the toolbar).

I'm using Win 98 so I assume this is the problem. However, we're organising an event later in the month that will involve multiple chats over three days with many people who have never used IRC before, so we need a program that is very easy to set up and use. IceChat looked ideal, except for this crashing thing. I can't really recommend a program that doesn't work for me, even if it just my computer that is the problem and I need to be able to use it so explain to others how to use. So if it's possible to fix this, I would be very grateful.

The error.txt file is 25 Mbs (from 90 mins of use) so I won't post it but it start with (and this does seem to be the same thing repeated throughout):

24/02/09 12:29:43:Module: frmChannel Function: Form_Activate Error Number:-2147417848 : Automation error
24/02/09 12:29:43:Module: frmWindow:@Error:0 Function: AddText:[12:29]  ->> ERROR:frmChannel:Function:Form_Activate Error Number:-2147417848 : Automation error Error Number:7 : Out of memory
24/02/09 12:29:43:Module: frmWindow:@Error:0 Function: AddText:[12:29]  ->> ERROR:frmWindow:@Error:0:Function:AddText:[12:29]  ->> ERROR:frmChannel:Function:Form_Activate Error Number:-2147417848 : Automation error Error Number:7 : Out of memory Error Number:7 : Out of memory
24/02/09 12:29:43:Module: frmWindow:@Error:0 Function: AddText:[12:29]  ->> ERROR:frmWindow:@Error:0:Function:AddText:[12:29]  ->> ERROR:frmWindow:@Error:0:Function:AddText:[12:29]  ->>

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: Frequent crashes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:11:53 PM »
Sounds to me like you need a re-install.

You are using a very outdated Operating System, and it would be best for you to test it on Windows XP or Vista.

Otherwise, there is not much more I can do for you, as I need more info about the problem,
The IceChat God

Xenith

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »
You are using a very outdated Operating System, and it would be best for you to test it on Windows XP or Vista.

I'm so glad you told me that. I hadn't realised!

Yes, that's snarky. When I ask for help, I like to actually get some help, such as telling me how I might be able to find out more info about the problem. Thank you for your time.

(And if the answer is "I don't think this will run on 98", that is fine. Until they starting giving away free copies of XP (and a machine capable of running it), I'm sort of stuck with what I have though.)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:52:19 PM »
Hey, no need to get nasty about it.

You forgot to read the first line of my message.

But, if this is how you feel about using a free product, then use something else.
The IceChat God