Author Topic: Problems with Icechat 7 and Vista  (Read 13396 times)

Hugga

Re: Problems with Icechat 7 and Vista
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 09:05:20 PM »
Edit to my last post:

Problem has returned again even with downgraded video driver.  I have a feeling it is a strange combination of the server I am connecting to, plus the video chipset I have, plus the use of VB6 runtimes, plus an IRC user doing funky scripty things to make their text look pretty on my screen, plus Vista Aero.

In other words; unpredictable.

Now I am messing with the compatibility settings for the IceChat application by disabling visual themes etc to see if it has an effect. 

--
Marty

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 09:24:27 PM »
Hugga, could you also post what the menu item returns when you use the Help Menu, Debug Items, Check DLL Versions.
The IceChat God

Hugga

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 07:13:13 AM »
C:\Windows\system32\mswinsck.ocx version: 6.0.89.88 : Installer Version is: 6.0.89.88)
C:\Windows\system32\mscomctl.ocx version = 6.1.97.86 : Installer Version is: 6.1.97.86)
C:\Windows\system32\msscript.ocx version = 1.0.0.6000 : Installer Version is: 1.0.0.4615)
C:\Windows\system32\msvbvm60.dll version = 6.0.97.97 : Installer Version is: 6.0.97.82)

I got a feeling it is the msvbvm60.dll version which may have solved it for an earlier poster.  I'm not able to install Vista SP1 (it breaks my system) and it includes the 6.0.98.2 version so I'm currently looking at how to update that one file correctly on Vista x64 (only Trusted Installer has permission to change the file in winsxs and syswow64 so I'll probably have to do it booting into Windows PE or something to do it).  Will keep you up to date!

PS, changing compatibility options (the ones that didnt turn off Aero) had no effect.

--
Marty

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »
Yes, I run 6.0.98.2 w/o any problems on my Vista x64 system.
The IceChat God

Hugga

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 05:16:04 PM »
Hi all,

While I haven't had long enough to test whether updating msvbvm60.dll to 6.0.98.2 solves this issue, I thought I would share some tips to manually updating it for those using x64 Windows.

Best solution is to have Vista SP1 or XP SP3 which has msvbvm60.dll 6.0.98.2 already, and from what I can gather in this thread, it seems to work with that version.  If for some reason you cant install the service packs, read on.

While I don't have a thorough understanding of x64 Windows platforms, my understanding is that the c:\windows\sysWOW64 folder is where all the 32-bit dll's etc reside.  When a 32-bit installer (like IceChat's) installs, the WOW redirects calls made to system32 over to sysWOW64 seamlessly. 

Therefore if you try and update the .ocx or .dll files manually for a 32-bit app (like IceChat) on a x64 Windows system (like Vista x64 or XP x64) you really need to update the files in sysWOW64 folder.  This can be tricky as .dll files can usually only be changed by an account called TrustedInstaller.  A workaround is to take ownership of the .dll and update it and then change ownership back (see http://www.nerdgrind.com/give-ownership-back-to-trustedinstaller/, yes changing the security back to the way you found it is a good idea to prevent future issues with updates or viruses).

Side-By-Side (winsxs) is another issue altogether.  Just remember if you update a .dll manually, there is always a chance it will get changed if another installer comes along and wants to do an update to these common files.  Why?  Because we havent registered our manual update properly in the registry.  So if this Icechat issue comes back, double check your .dll versions again.  Note that IceChat's function (Help Menu, Debug Items, Check DLL Versions) will reply showing the system32 folder, this is normal as the WOW is redirecting in the background and "tricking" IceChat into thinking the world is normal  :evil:

I hope this was useful for someone :)

--
Marty

Hugga

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »
People that still experience this issue after updating msvbvm60.dll may want to try installing Microsoft's hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932406.  It fixes a memory leak issue in shared component Comctl32.dll which causes explorer.exe to effectively become corrupt in memory.  It's freely downloadable but those with Vista SP1 will already have this hotfix installed. 

--
Marty