Author Topic: Problems with Icechat 7 and Vista  (Read 8376 times)

Maverick1030

Problems with Icechat 7 and Vista
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:43:06 AM »
I have a problem with Icechat running on my vista machines.  I have tried it on 4 machines, all laptops and seems to have the same problems.  It will run fine for a couple hours.  it varies from system to system.  after a time period of a couple hours, it starts distorting my desktop and taskbar.  everything moves to the left.  and i can't switch between windows.  I can't access anything.  All I can do is Ctrl+Alt+Del and reboot, then its fine for another couple hours.  Also the time doesn't seem to have to be straight, i can run it for say an hour and a half, close it, then open it for another hour and its as if it builds up over time anyway.  the system actually has to be rebooted for it to fix itself.

I have tried forcing it to run in an XP SP2 environment, then i disabled the desktop, and then disbaled the DPI scaling.

One programmer suggested it may be a memory leak.

I don't know.  Any thoughts.

It appears my post was deleted.  I know this is not a virus.  I have wiped my HDD and reinstalled the factory software a couple times.  I am running the latest version of icechat downloaded from the homepage.  I find it hard to see that its something with the computer, considering i have tried it on 4 different computers (Sony Vaio, Compaq, and 2 HPs).  The only other programs I am using while this is running are, Trillian, Firefox, and Avast Antivirus.  These are also the same programs running on other PCs. 

Windows_95

• Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!
Re: Problems with Icechat 7 and Vista
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »
i'm using vista and i have the exact same problem

but instead of rebooting just open up task manager go to processes and end explorer.exe and then restart it its easier then restarting ur pc and it works that's the main thing :wink:
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. Galileo Galilei

Maverick1030

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
Thats still bothersome when I am a moderator responsible for logging all that goes on in chat.  I would like to know if anybody knows what causes this and if there is a remedy for it.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:38:04 AM »
This could be caused by another program running on your PC, as I run IceChat on my Vista machine for as long as a week w/o having to restart. I would close all other programs, and see if the problem still happens.
The IceChat God

Windows_95

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:22:18 PM »
only program that we're both running is firefox
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. Galileo Galilei

Maverick1030

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
Would it make a difference what version of Vista I'm running?  I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7100 !.80GHz, 2046MB RAM.  Does this help in determining the problems?

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »
Honestly, from my experience, it is always another program causing a conflict with IceChat.
And I have seen that happen time and time again.
FireFox would not be the problem, but Trillian sure is one I have seen cause problems before.

Could even be the AntiVirus program, but it is something else running that is causing it.
And it may not be anything you could suspect, but I am 99% sure that is the case.

It is not Vista, because I have seen the same on XP.
The IceChat God

Maverick1030

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Thanks Snerf!!  I will try different things on my PCs.  As you said, you have seen it on XP, i have systems running XP and trillian and have never seen the problem.  I will try running icechat alone and see what happens and let you guys know.

Thanks again

Perfekt

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:18:27 AM »
I get this problem too. The easy thing to do though, is to click the processes tab, click explorer.exe and end process.

Then on Task Manager, click 'File'. Then click 'New Task (Run...)'. Then in the box that opens, type 'explorer.exe'

It'll open Explorer again and everything will be fine.

Btw, when this happens to me, I only have IceChat open, nothing else. No browser, no messenger, no game. I don't have an anti-virus on my system, I never get them. Lol.

So, I would suspect it's the program itself.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »
One easy thing to do for you guys is, from the "Help" menu, Debug items, Check DLL Versions.

Paste the results here, then we can see if there is some kind of a DLL Conflict that could cause this.

As I said, I run Vista 64bit, and I have no issues at all, and I have another Vista 32bit machine, again, no problems at all, so I dont suspect it is the program, but something else interfering, or a DLL Conflict.
The IceChat God

Windows_95

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »
C:\Windows\system32\mswinsck.ocx version: 6.0.89.88 : Installer Version is: 6.0.89.88
C:\Windows\system32\mscomctl.ocx version = 6.1.97.86 : Installer Version is: 6.1.97.86
C:\Windows\system32\msscript.ocx version = 1.0.0.6000 : Installer Version is: 1.0.0.4615
C:\Windows\system32\msvbvm60.dll version = 6.0.97.97 : Installer Version is: 6.0.97.82

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »
Well, eveything looks ok for that, except that the msvbvm60.dll version is a bit off, but I am not sure whether or not that would cause a problem. I run version 6.0.98.2 on my Vista box, which is a bit newer, and have no problems at all.

What I have done is zip of my version of the file and upload it to www.icechat.net/beta/msvbvm60.zip

The IceChat God

Windows_95

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »
ok with a little cussing and a little praying i was able to replace msvbvm60.dll and so far so good the screen hasn't messed up yet

Revi

• Revi's Web Portal
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 12:35:01 AM »
I'm running IceChat on two VISTA machines (32 and 64bit) but I've never seen this error you are describing.

Sometimes (ca. once in a week) on the 64bit machine it is beeing closed because of an "unkown error", but that's all.

Hugga

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:03:24 PM »
Hi all,

I started getting this problem too and thinking back the last thing I was mucking around with was the video card driver. 

I rolled back to the original driver and the issue may have gone away (when I say may, I mean the problem did not surface right away after changing video drivers so I cant say for sure that was the cause, but then it happened every day and haven't had a problem in 24 hours since downgrading the driver).

You might have different PC brands, but they may all be using the same video chipset brand, such as nVidia for example.  I have an nVidia FX5200 based card and completely removed the nVidia-sourced driver and went back to the Microsoft-supplied driver built-in to Vista. 

This could also explain why the problem can happen on XP too.

Driver downgrading is just an idea for those trying to diagnose.  It is preferable to upgrade if newer versions are available to what you have installed.

--
Marty