Author Topic: location for profile and log files  (Read 6834 times)

Drachen

location for profile and log files
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:16:53 AM »
hi all,

greetings from Germany.

I want to suggest that IceChat give the user the choice to decide where the profile and especially the log files were stored. Currently the were saved in the userprofile folder which makes this profile very fat by time and makes difficult to save such data for users who use to sort their important data in own drives or folders. Anyhow the system drive is no good place to store user data, it should contain only programs.

Can you build in an option like in Firefox or Thunderbird to say IceChat where to store the profile or at least the log files in a future version?

Sorry if it already built in but i didn't found such an option in this fine program ...

have a nice day :)
Drachen

P.S. Do you plan a mobile version of IceChat for use on a travel from USB stick whithout to have been installed on the host computer? I use netTalk for that purpose but the haptic of this program isn't comparable with IceChat ...

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: location for profile and log files
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »
To start IceChat, to use a folder for the paths for all the data files:

IceChat -profile C:\somepath\to\thedatafiles

And no, there will be no "mobile" version of IceChat, as it needs the IceChat runtimes to be installed on a machine to be able to run it. If you install IceChat to a machine, it will have the runtimes. You can then carry your settings on the UBS stick, and use the above command to start IceChat using that folder.
The IceChat God

Drachen

Re: location for profile and log files
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:21:29 PM »
Hello Snerf,

thank you very much, i didn't know this -profile switch.

you make a good job with IceChat :)

Greetings
Drachen