Author Topic: Converting from INI to XML  (Read 6689 times)

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Converting from INI to XML
« on: May 06, 2008, 01:45:50 PM »
As many of us know, we are hitting limits and usability with IceChat and INI files. Also, INI files are Win16 files, and are quite outdated, it is time to move on with them.
I have long debated switching from INI files to XML files for saving all the settings and such.

The main problem was, it is a slight performance hit, as it takes a little bit longer to save data to an XML file. But, that is the only downside. The upside is, no more issues with character limits (255).

Feedback would be great, as then I can start coding it into IceChat 7.7 and add the GetXML and WriteXML functions and all that as well.

I will try it out again, maybe work on the speed of it again, and see what I come up with.

On a second note, and I know of someone who would love to hear this, I have figured out how to other languages inside the script engine, IE: python. I may be implementing ways to allow for multiple scripting hosts, and you simply give it the language to use. Making it work with IceChat, like SendCommand and such, and how the events work, will be the tricky part.

Anyways, let me know what you all think.
The IceChat God

Morio

• Global Moderator
Re: Converting from INI to XML
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
I love the idea of using XML files with icechat. INI files are great, but as you said they're a bit outdated and have certain limits, so I'm looking forward to this. :)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Amis

Re: Converting from INI to XML
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »
I would like to see this in the next release :) It would be great and also by using XML files it could let other applications to read informations about the IRC client.