Author Topic: HyperLinking / Default Browser problems  (Read 18130 times)

amwausau

HyperLinking / Default Browser problems
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:21:56 PM »
To be totally honest I do not know if this is a problem with either IceChat, FireFox or the IO (idiot operator.)

I love Ice Chat, while others use mIRC, this one does the trick for me, and is intuitive enough to have me figure out just about anything I need.  One question I had a few months ago, I forgot what minor issue it was, someone that I was chatting in IRC answered the question in a chat session.  But this one puzzles me.

Starting a few days ago, I was unable to click on links in an irc chat and have them load.

I do use firefox for a browser, and this did start at or near the time i updated my secondary browser MSIE v 7

This gave me the idea that that may have been a problem.

So I downloaded safari and made it my default browser.

Now when i click on hyperlinks in ice chat it will load them in safari

Can someone tell me what i can do to revert to making firefox my defult browser and have the hyper links work.

thanks-am
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:58:02 AM by Snerf »

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
Re: HyperLinking
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 07:09:31 PM »
Well, you have to make FireFox your default browser.
And that is not an IceChat issue at all, and this isn't a FireFox support forum.

But, if you go to Tools and then Options, and I think its under the Advanced Tab, and then the General Tab ( In FireFox of course), there should be a setting in there to make it check if it is the default browser.

The IceChat God

Pultsari

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 02:26:27 PM »
Well, you have to make FireFox your default browser.
And that is not an IceChat issue at all, and this isn't a FireFox support forum.

But, if you go to Tools and then Options, and I think its under the Advanced Tab, and then the General Tab ( In FireFox of course), there should be a setting in there to make it check if it is the default browser.

Still, there is a some bug .. firefox is my default browser in os settings and links from channels open in IE ... my system is Vista Ultimate 64 english + finnish languagepack installed and using finnish gui (disabled: uac, windows defender, firewall..), good new hardware ofcourse :P all updates etc. icechat version 7.61, default installation ...

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 04:47:04 PM »
I run Vista with FireFox, and have no issues at all. It is a problem with FireFox not properly registering itself in the Registry as the default browser, it only does it partially.

Some people I have spoken to have told me by forcing FireFox to be the default browser fixes it, by setting IE as the default browser, and then set FireFox back to be it. IceChat reads the registry as to what the default browser is set, it is no fault of it, if it is not set properly.
The IceChat God

Pultsari

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »
Tried .. first, I change IE back to default browser (from ie settings) .. and then close ie and open firefox and set it default again. No help to prob.

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 05:09:02 PM »
Well, most likely it is because it is not the default browser for the computer, just the user, or the registry setting is wrong, which I have seen with many versions of Opera and Firefox. Installing the latest version 'may' fix this.

IceChat looks at the HKLM\Software\Classes\http\shell\open\command , to see what the default browser is.
If it is set to IE, it will use IE.

If the registry key is correct, IceChat should check in the HKCU key first, to see if there is a value there, and if it does not exist, it will use the HKLM value.

If the registry key is wrong, or it fails, it will just run a default shell command, and this also could cause IE to fier up.

Will add this to v7.63 fixes/updates to make it check for the HKCU key first, and if it does not exist, use the HKLM key.

As for bad registry keys, that is simply not an IceChat issue.
The IceChat God

Pultsari

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 04:54:32 AM »
Yeah, I use latest firefox (fresh and default install, not update -> update update -> etc ..) .. Yes, i understand what you mean.. difference with user and os "default browser" -setting..

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Ok, I have tried out using it with HKCU now, and it works well.
If you want to try out the test build, look me up in the #icechat channel.
The IceChat God

pilgrim

Re: HyperLinking / Default Browser problems
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:57:17 PM »
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but I have same problem, but visa versa, I have used 5.5 for years, but have been nagged into getting latest version, I have tried both the update and full download. When I click on hyper links, it opens in firefox, but the default browser is IE8, I have checked IE is default, by making ff default then making IE default again, but it still opens in ff. I use vista if any help.
I am not technically minded, so please be gentle  :lol:

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »
It is a registry issue, as explained in this thread. FF and IE seem to set the default browser setting in different places. You will need to edit your registry to fix it.
The IceChat God

Hezer

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »
I had this issue with my IceChat on windows 7 and did some research.

http://newoldthing.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/how-does-your-browsers-know-that-its-not-the-default-browser/

This clears it all.
On windows xp default browser setting is set to:
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\http\shell\open\command" or "HKCU..." or "HKCR..."
but these can cause conflicts and on vista and later it is set to:
"HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UriAssociations\http\UserChoice"

I got mine fixed by changing the old registry key value, but thats not a real fix.

Rastus

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »
Hmmm.... I dropped Icechat for a while because of this issue. Still doesn't seem to work.
I've tried Firefox and Safari. Tried going into all the 'default browser' stuff and even the settings in the 'Set program access and computer defaults' section as well as the 'Set program defaults' section. Nothing seems to work. When I click on the link all I get is the following error:

[13:56:02]  ->> ERROR:modRegistry:Function:LaunchURLInNewBrowser Error Number:9 : Subscript out of range

While this could be a Vista issue, I'm wondering why everything else wants to open my default browser correctly, including mIRC, so why is IceChat the only proggy that I seem to have problems with in this matter? Folks here are insisting it's a 'registry issue'. Now I'm not a whiz with computers, I'll admit that to anyone, but if my default browser (Firefox or Safari)  work/open properly from Thunderbird, Skype, mIRC, etc. how come it won't open with IceChat if it is the registry that is the problem? Why is it that IceChat used to work, before one of the updates, if it is a registry problem?

If someone could explain that, I'd be pleased.

(Oh yeah. I've tried a full install and the updates.)

((Note: switched to mIRC when IceChat started this problem.))

Snerf

• Administrator
    • IceChat IRC Client
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »
There have been updates that fixed it for some people, and broke it for others. It is just one of those little minor annoyances.
If you set your default browser to Internet Explorer, does it work?

And yes, it IS a registry issue. I know this for a fact. Browsers are not consistent on setting certain registry keys to tell the OS which is the default browser. And the reason why it does not work in IceChat, is because it is looking in a specific area for where the default browser is set.

On a side note, this is no longer an issue in the new IceChat 2009.
The IceChat God

Rastus

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 01:24:15 AM »
Okay. Have changed default browser to IE. Still having the same problem.

Please, I wasn't trying to be smart with the registry issue, I was just wondering why it was that any other program I used would open browsers, tabs etc without a problem when IceChat wouldn't.  Like I said, I don't know much about how computers work, I just think they should. (which is why I dislike Vista so very much)

*Offers a plate of cookies to the IceChat God.* 

Looking forward to 2009 being fully ready to go as I *do* like IceChat. I do think it's cool and I would go back to using it if this glitch was fixed.  :)

Dino

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 11:27:38 AM »
I recently had to restore my system Win7 Ultimate 64 and after reinstalling IceChat 7.70 20101031 I get an error message at startup of: ->> ERROR:modRegistry:0:Function:FindBrowsers Error Number:9 : Subscript out of range owsers Error Number:9 : Subscript out of range.

Any idea what I need to do to fix this?  When I try to select the default browser, there are none.

Help!

Dino